Summary of Kansas' Foreclosure Laws

Learn about the key features of Kansas foreclosure law.

If you are facing foreclosure in Kansas, it’s important to understand some of the basics, including:

  • the most common type of foreclosure procedure (judicial v. nonjudicial) used in Kansas
  • how much time you have to respond
  • your rights and protections in the process, and
  • what happens afterwards (for example, whether you’ll be liable for a deficiency judgment).

Below we have outlined some of the most important features of Kansas foreclosure law. Keep in mind that this is just a summary; we’ve included statute citations so you can get more details from the laws themselves. And be sure to check out Nolo’s extensive Foreclosure section, where you can find information about all aspects of foreclosure, definitions of foreclosure terms (like redemption and reinstatement), and options to avoid foreclosure.


State Rule

Common type of foreclosure process


Notice of the foreclosure

Borrower who is personally served with the complaint has 21 days to respond; if notice is only by publication in a local newspaper of general circulation, borrower has 41 days to respond. After court issues a foreclosure judgment, foreclosing party must publish a notice of sale at least three times; last publication must be between seven and 14 days before sale date.

Reinstatement of loan before sale

Not available (except as permitted by the terms of the mortgage)

Redemption after sale

Available for 12 months from the sale date (less if homeowner abandoned premises). Available for three months if borrower defaulted on mortgage before one-third of original debt was repaid. Court may extend three-month redemption period by another three months if homeowner loses his or her job after the sale and during the initial three-month period. Available for 12 months if all mortgage debt on property totals less than one-third of the house’s market value.

Special protections for foreclosures involving high-cost mortgages


Special state protections for service members


Deficiency judgments

Allowed if court confirms that the price paid for property at sale is adequate compared to its fair market value. Sales price that covers foreclosing party’s judgment, taxes, interest, and costs is considered adequate.

Cash exempted in bankruptcy


Notice to leave after house is sold

After the redemption period, the new owner can get a writ of assistance as part of the foreclosure action commanding the sheriff to forcibly remove the former owner.

Foreclosure statute

Kan. Stat. Ann. § 60-2410

Talk to a Lawyer

Start here to find foreclosure lawyers near you.

How it Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you

Talk to a Foreclosure attorney.

We've helped 75 clients find attorneys today.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you