How to Get and File the Bankruptcy Forms

Learn where to find the official bankruptcy forms, how to find out about local forms and requirements, and where to file your forms.

Updated by , Attorney

When you file for Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 bankruptcy, you must fill out a packet of forms. These consist of a "voluntary petition," several other forms called "schedules," and some additional forms. Often the whole packet is referred to as the "bankruptcy petition."

These forms are issued by the federal government and are referred to as the "official" bankruptcy forms.

Where to Get the Official Forms

You can find copies of the official bankruptcy forms on the United States courts' website at From the website, you can print out blank copies of the forms. Starting in 2015, the consumer bankruptcy forms began undergoing revisions to make them more consumer-friendly. As of December 1, 2017, all of the revised forms have been released, including a new Chapter 13 Plan (Form 113). (Keep in mind that newer versions are released periodically.)

Local Forms and Requirements

In addition to the official forms that every bankruptcy court uses, your local bankruptcy court might require you to file additional forms that it has developed. Your local bankruptcy court might also have special requirements or rules for filing your petition.

You can also get these forms and requirements from the bankruptcy court clerk or a local bankruptcy attorney.

You might also find local forms and requirements on the particular bankruptcy court's website. Many courts provide guidelines on the navbar under "Forms" or "Filing Without an Attorney." To find your local bankruptcy court's website or location, go to

Filing the Forms

If an attorney represents you in your bankruptcy case, the attorney will prepare these forms (most likely using software) for your review and signature and then file them electronically with the court.

If you are representing yourself, you must file the bankruptcy forms in person at the bankruptcy court. There is one exception to this procedure: Several courts have a pilot project which allows debtors without attorneys to file their forms electronically. More courts may be adding this feature in the future.

Check with your local court as to how many copies you'll need to file (usually it's an original and one copy), the order the forms should be in, and other requirements (such as staples, hole punching, etc.)

Filing in the Right Bankruptcy Court

There are federal bankruptcy courts all over the country. The courts are divided into judicial districts. Every state has at least one judicial district; most have more. You can file in either:

  • the district where you have been living for the greater part of the 180-day period before you file, or
  • the district where you are domiciled—that is, where you maintain your home, even if you have been living elsewhere temporarily (such as on a military base).
You might have additional filing options if you own a business or have substantial assets somewhere other than where you live. In both situations, you'll want to consult with a local bankruptcy attorney.
For specific information about bankruptcy filing and procedure, see Bankruptcy Information for Your State.

Talk to a Bankruptcy Lawyer

Need professional help? Start here.

How it Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you
Get Professional Help

Get debt relief now.

We've helped 205 clients find attorneys today.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you