Kyle Knapp

Kyle A. Knapp is an experienced immigration attorney. He earned his law degree from Capital University Law School in 1998 and is licensed to practice in Ohio and Florida.

Kyle concentrates his practice on helping organizations hire individuals who are not U.S. citizens. He also advises organizations on the requirements to ensure that all of their employees have authorization to work in the United States. The former sometimes is referred to as "visa processing," while the latter is referred to as "I-9 compliance."   Additionally, Kyle assists individuals with naturalization applications for U.S. citizenship and with family-based immigration cases to sponsor relatives for lawful permanent resident status.

The U.S. immigration laws have become increasingly complex. Kyle parses through statutes, regulations and agency guidance and explains to organizations in simple terms what steps they must follow to hire individuals who are not U.S. citizens. His areas of expertise include a wide range of nonimmigrant (i.e. temporary) and immigrant (i.e. green card or permanent resident) visas. In the nonimmigrant category, he has extensive experience with B/Visa Waiver (visitors for business or pleasure), E (treaty traders and investors), F (students), H (specialty occupation workers for individuals with relevant college degrees), J (exchange visitors), L (intracompany transferees from affiliate organizations abroad), O (individuals of extraordinary ability), R (ministers) and TN (professional workers from Canada and Mexico under the North American Free Trade Agreement).

In the immigrant category, Kyle has helped organizations and individuals apply for green cards through the labor certification process (called PERM), priority worker petitions (extraordinary ability, outstanding researcher/professor, multinational manager), and religious worker petitions. The various occupations have included information technology professionals, scientists, engineers, financial analysts, university professors, nurses, physicians, ministers, social workers, psychologist, and managers and executives.

As part of his I-9 compliance work, Kyle advises human resources professionals on the requirements to document the work authorization of new employees and avoid discriminating against individuals based upon national origin or citizenship status. The I-9 form is deceptively complex, and Kyle helps those involved in preparing and maintaining it understand its nuances and comply with regulatory requirements.

Find Kyle at

Articles By Kyle Knapp

What Happens If I Travel or Move While Awaiting My Adjustment of Status Interview?
If you are applying for a U.S. green card through the process known as "adjustment of status," in which you submit your application materials to, and attend your interview at an office of USCIS, leaving the country could cancel it, unless you apply for Advance Parole.
How Long It Takes to Get an H-1B Visa Petition Approved
How long a wait to expect, and how to monitor your progress toward approval of Form I-129.
Types of Jobs Most Likely to Qualify for an H-1B Visa
Job categories mostly likely to qualify a foreign student or worker for a H-1B visa.
Who Qualifies for a National Interest Waiver Green Card?
With the national interest waiver, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services decides that a person's work is so important that there’s no need to give first priority to a U.S. worker. It will thus “waive” or set aside the requirements of employer sponsorship and labor certification.
How to Fill in Online Form DS-260 for Consular Visa Processing
Are you in the process of applying for an immigrant visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate abroad? If so, one of the important steps is to must submit an electronic form called the DS-260. Here's how.
Religious Workers: Going From an R-1 Visa to a Green Card
R-1 visa holders who are currently working in the U.S. as ministers or in a religious vocation or occupation have a fairly simple route to obtaining a green card to become U.S.
Part-Time Work and Multiple Employers for H-1B Workers
You don't necessarily need a full-time job in the U.S. to qualify for an H-1B visa for temporary specialty workers.
Overview of PERM Process (Obtaining Labor Certification)
Obtaining a U.S. green card is a multi-step process. If you are a foreign worker seeking a green card, the first step in the process is normally to obtain a job offer from a U.S. employer.
Common Reasons for Denial of an H-1B Visa
Issues regarding the position, the applicant's qualifications, and more can sink an H-1B application.
After H-1B or Other Work Visa Ends: Will a Grace Period or Visitor Visa Let You Stay Longer?
If you’ve been working in the U.S. under a temporary visa and would like to vacation here after your job ends and before your return to your home abroad or join another organization, here are likely timelines.