Streamlined Modifications for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac Mortgages

The Streamlined Modification Initiative provides an efficient, no-document way for certain delinquent homeowners to get a permanent mortgage modification.

On July 1, 2013, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac started offering a simplified loan modification program to help troubled borrowers avoid foreclosure and stay in their homes. Read on to learn more about the “Streamlined Modification Initiative” and find out if you qualify for relief under this program. (Note: This program will be replaced with the Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac Flex Modification program on October 1, 2017.)

The Streamlined Modification Initiative

On March 27, 2013, the Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA) announced a program designed to help borrowers save their homes. The Streamlined Modification Initiative provides an efficient, no-document way for certain delinquent borrowers to obtain a permanent loan modification.


Under the Streamlined Modification Initiative, mortgage servicers are required to send you a letter offering you a modification if you meet all of the following criteria:

  • Your loan is owned or guaranteed by Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac.
  • You are 90 days (3 months) to 720 days (24 months) delinquent on your mortgage.
  • You have a first-lien mortgage that is at least 12 months old.
  • Your loan-to-value ratio is equal to or greater than 80%.

Loans that have been previously modified two or more times are ineligible for the program. Strategic defaulters are also excluded. (According to the FHFA, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac have existing screening measures to prevent strategic defaulters from taking advantage of the program.)

Second homes and investment properties are eligible to participate.

To find out if either Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac owns your loan, go to and

How the Program Works

As of July 1, 2013, mortgage servicers must identify eligible borrowers and send them an offer letter that states the terms of the modification, including the monthly payment required for a Streamlined Modification. Upon receiving the letter, the borrower can simply submit the modified payment to begin the trial period.

The borrower must successfully complete the three-month trial period to obtain a permanent modification. If the borrower makes the three payments on time, the mortgage will be permanently modified. However, if the borrower misses a payment during the trial period, he or she will not be eligible for a permanent modification under the program (though another foreclosure alternative may be available).

To learn about your options if you are struggling to pay your mortgage, get The Foreclosure Survival Guide.

Key Feature of the Streamlined Modification Initiative

The key feature of this program is that borrowers do not have to document an eligible hardship or their income to be qualify for a Streamlined Modification. This is different from HAMP (which is no longer available) and other loan modification programs. The FHFA believes that by reducing the amount of documentation required to obtain a modification, significantly more borrowers will be able to save their homes.

Borrowers Are Still Encouraged to Submit Documentation

Even if you are eligible for a Streamlined Modification, you are still encouraged to provide financial, income, and hardship documentation to your servicer so that you can be considered for other modification options. While submitting a full application may sound like a hassle compared to the ease of a Streamlined Modification, you might get a more affordable monthly payment another program than you would under the Streamlined Modification Initiative.

Call Your Mortgage Servicer if You Need Help

While a Streamlined Modification might sound like a great deal, it is best not to sit around waiting for the offer if you are currently struggling to make your payments. Call your mortgage servicer as soon as possible so you can be evaluated for an alternative to foreclosure that is appropriate for your situation.

See Nolo’s Alternatives to Foreclosure section to learn more about different loss mitigation options.

Talk to a Lawyer

Start here to find foreclosure lawyers near you.

How it Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you

Talk to a Foreclosure attorney.

We've helped 75 clients find attorneys today.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you