Taylor Karam (formerly Jameson)

Attorney · Case Western Reserve University School of Law

Taylor Karam has dedicated her entire career to representing the indigent and immigrants. She is currently a staff attorney at Legal Services of Eastern Michigan in Flint, Michigan, where she specializes in immigration, unemployment, and general civil litigation.

Before working in legal aid, Taylor served for four years at the International Institute of Akron, a nonprofit legal services provider in Akron, Ohio, where she specialized in family-based immigration and deportation/removal defense. In her spare time, Taylor enjoys hiking, kayaking, gardening, and spending time with her daughter and dog.

Articles By Taylor Karam (formerly Jameson)

Will a U Visa Ever Lead to a Green Card?
If you have received a U visa as a victim of a serious crime assisting law enforcement, you might be able to adjust your status to “permanent resident” (and receive your green card) after three years of continuous presence in the United States.
Filling Out Form I-130 for Adult Son or Daughter (Over 21) of U.S. Permanent Resident
If you are a U.S. green card holder (permanent resident), you may be able to petition for your foreign-born children who are age 21 or older to become U.S. permanent residents themselves.
K-1 Fiancé Visa or Marriage Visa: Which Is Better for Me?
If you are in a relationship with a U.S. citizen, and think that you are ready to take the next step and make your home in the U.S., you may consider applying for either a marriage-based visa or a fiancé(e) visa with which to enter the United States. However, these visas have very different requirements, and allow you to do different things on differing timelines.
Don't Let Timing of Two-Year Meeting Requirement for Fiancé(e) Visa Destroy Eligibility
If you, as a U.S. citizen, and your foreign-born fiancé(e) fail to meet in person within the two years prior to submitting a petition for a K-1 fiancé(e) visa, expect a denial.
Received a NOID (Notice of Intent to Deny) After Marriage-Based Green Card Interview: What to Do?
A strong NOID response to USCIS's notification that it plans to deny the immigrant's application for lawful permanent residence might be your final chance to succeed in your case.
Chart: What to Expect When Sponsoring a Fiancé or Spouse for a Green Card
Find out how long it takes to get a K-1 fiancé or spousal immigrant visa--and how to do it.
Paid an Immigration Bond? How to Get Money Back
If you paid money so your friend or relative would be released from detention, and to make sure the person shows up for court proceedings, how do you get the bond money back when court is over?
What's an Aggravated Felony According to U.S. Immigration Law?
If the term “aggravated felony” sounds it refers like a serious crime, it should. Any noncitizen convicted of an aggravated felony will lose the right to many types of immigration benefits.
U Visas for Crime Victims Assisting Law Enforcement: Who Is Eligible
U.S. visas are available for crime victims who provide helpful information to investigating authorities
How Do I Request a Bond Hearing in an Immigration Case?
It is up to you to request bond. Unlike your immigration court proceeding, you do not receive information from Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) or the Immigration Court regarding your bond hearing.