Richard Link


Richard Link is currently a legal editor at the national office of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA). He previously practiced immigration law in Rochester, New York.

Mr. Link received his law degree in 1990 from the  University of California Davis School of Law  (King Hall), where he served as senior research editor for the  U.C. Davis Law Review  and earned the certificate in public interest law. His undergraduate degree in Language Studies was obtained at the University of California, Santa Cruz in 1986.

Articles By Richard Link

What's My Naturalization Certificate Number and Date and Place of Issuance?
Where to find naturalization certificate information with which to fill in USCIS forms.
Conditional Residents: How to File I-751 for Green Card After Spouse's Death
If you received a “conditional,” two-year green card after marrying a U.S. citizen, you probably know that you need to file a petition with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services; but how and when can you do so after the U.S. petitioner's death?
Filling Out Form I-912 for an Immigration Fee Waiver
Government filing fees for immigration processing can be expensive. However, if you don’t earn much money and you don’t have a lot of assets, you can ask USCIS for a waiver.
Can I Afford to Apply for U.S. Citizenship?
Applying for U.S. citizenship could be expensive or it could be cheap--it all depends on your financial circumstances.
Who Has the Power to Change U.S. Immigration Law?
The U.S. Supreme Court ruled early on that immigration regulation was an exclusive responsibility of the federal government. From time to time state and local (city or county) governments attempt to make laws that affect immigration, but they’re usually unsuccessful.
U.S. Employers: How to Hire Students From Abroad for Seasonal Work on a J-1 Visa
Sponsor foreign college and university students for participation in work/travel programs.
Will USCIS Check My Criminal Background If I Apply for Citizenship?
After you apply for naturalization, USCIS takes your fingerprints for a reason.
How to Hold a PERM-Compliant Employment Interview With U.S. Job Candidates
One of the final stages in the Program Electronic Review Management (PERM) process that you as an employer must complete before sponsoring a person for permanent residency in the U.S. is interviewing other potentially qualified candidates for that person’s job.
When to Apply for Adjustment of Status When You’re on a Wait List
Understanding the Visa Bulletin cutoff dates in the “dates for filing” and “final action dates” charts, and when they allow you to submit your green card application and get a U.S. work permit.
How to Come to the U.S. as a High School Exchange Student
How foreign students can come to the U.S. for a limited period of high school study.