Filling Out Form I-912 for a Fee Waiver

Can't afford the immigration application fee? You may be able to ask USCIS for a waiver.

Government filing fees for immigration processing can be expensive. However, if you don’t earn much money and you don’t have a lot of assets, you can ask U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to let you file some (but not all) applications for free.

Instead of paying the filing fee with your application, you submit a form called “Request for Fee Waiver,” which USCIS calls Form I-912. If you can prove you don’t have the money, and your request is granted, you won’t have to pay the filing fee, and USCIS will continue processing your application. If your request is denied, USCIS will send back your application, with a letter saying that it won’t process it without receiving a fee payment as well.

When to File Form I-912

Form I-912 always goes together with some kind of application or petition for an immigration benefit you want, like a replacement green card or a certificate of citizenship. You can ask for a fee waiver when filing certain types of applications or petitions only. The instructions for Form I-912 tell you which ones. (Notably, you cannot use it for most adjustment of status green card applications.)

Form I-912 can’t be filed after you’ve already filed the application or petition, so you’ll need to have it done at the same time you’re filing your application or petition.

You submit Form I-912 requesting a fee waiver instead of enclosing the check or money order for the fee that you’d otherwise have to pay. If you’re filing more than one application or petition at the same time, you only need one Form I-912. (But make sure you list all the different applications or petitions that you’re submitting in Part 3 of the I-912.) However, if you later file another application or petition that has a waivable fee, you’ll need to submit another I-912 – USCIS won’t remember that it let you file other applications for free.

Line-by-Line Instructions for Form I-912

Here are some pointers for filling out the fee waiver form.

Part 1

In Part 1, you select the category that best describes your situation. You will provide detailed information in Parts 4-6, as applicable to you. See below for guidance on those parts of the form.

Part 2

Part 2 of Form I-912 asks for information about the person who needs the fee waiver. Usually that’s you, but if you’re filing an application on behalf of your child, you would put the child’s information in Part 2.

If you use two names as your “last name” or “family name,” put them both in the box for section 1. If you have no “middle name,” you can write “none” in that box .

Section 3 asks for an Alien Registration Number, sometimes called an “A” number because it’s a series of numbers following the letter A. You may or may not have an A number – it’s very possible that you don’t. But if you’ve ever applied for an immigration benefit or been in immigration court, you probably do—check your immigration paperwork if you’re not sure. Write “N/A” (which means “not applicable”) in section 3 if you don’t have an A number.

Section 4 asks for your USCIS online account number. When filing a petition or application electronically, you will receive an account number. If you did not file electronically, simply leave this line blank.

Sections 5-7 – Provide the date of birth, Social Security Number and marital status for you or the person who is seeking the fee waiver.

Part 3

Part 3 asks for the form number of the application or petition you’re filing. Every form has a number – you’ll see it in the top right corner and also the bottom left corner. Be sure to list all applications and petitions you’re submitting.

Parts 4-6

Parts4-6 are where you tell USCIS why you deserve a fee waiver. This refers back to Part 1, where you checked the box that applies to your situation..

Part 4

If you currently receive a “means-tested benefit,” you should have checked the box for item 1 in Part 1. You’ll fill out Section 4 and Section 7, and skip Parts 5 and 6.

A “means-tested benefit” is defined for you on page 4 of the I-912 instructions. (The instructions are contained in a separate document, available on the USCIS website.) Means-tested benefits can come from a federal government agency or a state agency, and include things like SNAP (“food stamps”) and Medicaid.

The important thing to remember is to attach proof that you (or your dependents) are getting the means-tested benefit. The best proof is a letter, form, or other document that came from the government and that has both the agency name and your name, showing that you’re receiving assistance or participating in the program.

Part 4 asks for the date the benefit was awarded to you and the date the benefit expires.

Part 5

You also can qualify for a fee waiver if your income is at or below 150% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines. Part 5 asks about your income. You need to fill this section out if you checked box 2 in Part 1.

Sections 1-2 ask for information about your employment status.

Sections 3-4 ask about your spouse, if any, and household size. Provide the names, dates of birth, relationship, marital status, whether they are full-time students and whether their income is counted in your household income.

In sections 5-8, you will need to provide your annual income, the income of household members and any other sources of income or financial support.

Finally, in section 9, you have an opportunity to explain any new information that may affect your financial situation since you filed your most recent federal tax return.

If you’re filling out Part 5 and relying on low income to qualify for the fee waiver, you need to include documents proving your income. Your latest federal income tax return is always good (especially if you’re self-employed), although if it doesn’t reflect your current income very well, you should submit copies of paycheck stubs or statements from your employer showing how much you’re earning right now.

The instructions for Form I-912 will answer a lot of questions you might have about household size and income. Read the questions and answers for “Your Annual Household Income” that begin on page 6 of the instructions.

Part 6

You fill out Section 6 only if you checked box 3 in Part 1. (Make sure you fill out Part 5, too.) You’re doing this because your income might be too high to qualify for a fee waiver, but you have special circumstances that make it hard for you to pay the fee.

Section 1 is a big space for you to explain your hardship. You might have big medical bills that you must pay off every month, or you may not have been able to work for a while because of an injury, for example. If this is the case, USCIS will want to know about your “assets” – the value of everything you own, including money in the bank. List assets in section 2. For more information on assets, see page 8 of the instructions for Form I-912 under “Part 6. Financial Hardship.”

Section 3 is where you list how much you pay every month for things like rent and food, and every other living expense. You should be able to prove these amounts as much as possible. So, you should include copies or printouts of all your bills, receipts, invoices, and other documents that show money you have paid.

Part 7

Everyone who is filing an application or petition that requires a fee needs to sign the fee waiver request form in Section 7, except for children under 14. If a child under 14 needs a fee waiver, a parent or guardian must sign for the child. (But if the parent or guardian already signed for himself or herself, there is no need to sign twice.)

Where to File Form I-912

A Form I-912 fee waiver request is never filed alone. As mentioned before, it’s filed together with the application or petition that otherwise requires a fee. So you’ll need to know the address of the USCIS office that accepts the application or petition you’re filing, and send everything there.

Talk to a Lawyer

Need a lawyer? Start here.

How it Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you

Talk to an Immigration attorney.

We've helped 85 clients find attorneys today.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you