Trademark Class 7: Machines
Choose Class 7 if you are registering trademarks for machines and machine tools, motors and engines
Class 7 includes machines and machine tools; motors and engines (except for land vehicles); machine coupling and transmission components (except for land vehicles); agricultural implements other than hand-operated; incubators for eggs; automatic vending machines. Class 7 is one of 45 classes used by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) when grouping products or services. For a complete listing of all goods in Class 7, see below.
Examples of trademarks in Class 7 include: BENCHMARK (hydraulic pumps), SCOTTS (powered lawn equipment), RHINO (tillage equipment), and RAJO (cylinder heads for engines).
You would NOT use Class 7 if you were registering:
- hand tools and implements, hand-operated (Class 8 - Hand Tools);
- motors and engines for land vehicles (Class 12 - Vehicles).
Related (Coordinated) Classes
If you are not sure whether you should register in Class 7, you might also consider the following “coordinated” classes: Class 8 - Hand Tools, Class 11 - Appliances, Class 12 - Vehicles, Class 35 - Advertising and Business Services, Class 37 - Construction and Repair Services, Class 40 - Material Treatment Services, and Class 42 - Science and Technology Services. A coordinated class is one that is related to another class, usually because the USPTO has determined that applicants filing within Class 7 often file in the coordinated classes, too.
Why use the class system? Trademark registration is based on a class system. For each class of goods or services that you register, you must pay a separate registration fee. So if you apply for a trademark for posters (Class 16) and shirts (Class 25), you must pay two fees. You must indicate the correct class at the time you are registering a trademark. If you list the incorrect class, you must start the application process over. Your registrations are restricted to those classes that encompass the goods or services you are already offering (as shown by the specimens you submit) or that you plan to offer (if you are registering on an intent-to-use basis). You may also need information about the class number in order to narrow a search of the USPTO’s trademark database.
Specimens for Class 7
If the mark is used in commerce, you must furnish a specimen of the mark as consumers see it. The specimen must show the mark as used on or in connection with the goods in commerce. A trademark specimen should be a label, tag, or container for the goods, or a display associated with the goods. A photocopy or other reproduction of a specimen of the mark as actually used on or in connection with the goods is acceptable.
In most cases, where the trademark is applied to the goods or the containers for the goods in Class 7 by means of labels, a label is an acceptable specimen. Shipping or mailing labels may be accepted if they are affixed to the goods or to the containers for the goods and if proper trademark usage is shown. They are not acceptable if the mark as shown is merely used as a trade name and not as a trademark. An example of this is the use of the term solely as a return address.
Stamping a trademark on the goods, on the container, or on tags or labels attached to the goods or containers, is a proper method of trademark affixation. The trademark may be imprinted in the body of the goods, as with metal stamping; it may be applied by a rubber stamp; or it may be inked on by using a stencil or template. When a trademark is used in this manner, photographs or facsimiles showing the actual stamping or stenciling are acceptable as specimens.
The terminology “applied to the containers for the goods” means applied to any type of commercial packaging that is normal for the particular goods as they move in trade. Thus, a showing of the trademark on the normal commercial package for the particular Class 7 goods is an acceptable specimen. For example, gasoline pumps are normal containers or “packaging” for gasoline.
A specimen showing use of the trademark on a vehicle in which the goods are marketed to the relevant purchasers may constitute use of the mark on a container for the goods, if this is the normal mode of use of a mark for the particular goods
For More Information on Trademarks and Federal Registration
Complete Listing of All Goods in Class 7 Based on Taxonomy
- Agricultural, earthmoving, construction, oil and gas extraction and mining equipment, automatic grapnels for marine purposes, bulldozers, cinder sifters [machines], coal cutting machines, diggers [machines], ditchers [ploughs], drilling rigs, floating or non-floating, earth moving machines, excavators, grinding machines/crushing machines/rammers [machines], haulage apparatus [mining]/extractors for mines, mine borers, mine working machines, ore treating machines, rams [machines], shovels, mechanical, sifters, sifting installations, sifting machines/peeling machines, tilt hammers.
- Agricultural, gardening and forestry equipment, aerators/gasifiers, agricultural machines, agricultural elevators, agricultural implements other than hand-operated, binding apparatus for hay/trussing apparatus for hay, chaff cutter blades, cultivators [machines], dairy machines, fodder presses, grain husking machines/corn husking machines/corn and grain husking machines, grain separators, harrows, harvesting machines/mowing and reaping machines, incubators for eggs, knives for mowing machines, lawnmowers [machines], mechanized livestock feeders, milking machines, motorized cultivators, ploughs, ploughshares, rakes for raking machines, raking machines, reapers and threshers, reapers and binders, reapers, sheaf-binding machines, shearing machines for animals/hair clipping machines for animals/hair cutting machines for animals, sowers [machines], straw [chaff] cutters/chaff cutters, tedding machines, threshing machines, turf removing ploughs, weeding machines, winnowers.
- Construction equipment, bitumen making machines, concrete mixers [machines], rail-laying machines, railroad constructing machines, road making machines, steamrollers/road rollers.
- Pumps, compressors and fans, aerating pumps for aquaria, air pumps [garage installations], air suction machines, beer pumps, bellows [machines]/blowing engines, blowing machines, blowing machines for the compression, exhaustion and transport of gases, blowing machines for the compression, sucking and carrying of grain/fans for the compression, sucking and carrying of grain/blowing machines or fans for the compression, sucking and carrying of grain, centrifugal pumps, compressed air machines, compressed air pumps, compressors [machines], compressors for refrigerators, drainage machines, ejectors, forge bellows, lubricating pumps, pump diaphragms, pumps [machines], pumps for heating installations, suction machines for industrial purposes, vacuum pumps [machines].
- Robots, robots [machines].
- Generators of electricity, alternators, bicycle dynamos, carbon brushes [electricity], current generators, dynamo brushes, dynamos, emergency power generators, generators of electricity, wind turbines.
- Moving and handling equipment, air cushion devices for moving loads, feeding apparatus for engine boilers, filling machines, handling machines, automatic [manipulators], handling apparatus for loading and unloading, hoppers [mechanical discharging], loading ramps, moving pavements [sidewalks]/sidewalks [moving pavements], net hauling machines [fishing], pulleys [parts of machines], reeling apparatus, mechanical, reels, mechanical, for flexible hoses, roller bridges, sorting machines for industry, winches.
- Opening and closing mechanisms, curtain drawing devices, electrically operated, door openers, electric, door closers, electric, hydraulic door openers and closers [parts of machines], pneumatic door openers and closers [parts of machines].
- Lifting and hoisting equipment, elevators and escalators, adhesive bands for pulleys, capstans, cranes [lifting and hoisting apparatus], derricks, elevating apparatus, elevator belts/lift belts, elevator chains [parts of machines], elevator operating apparatus/lift operating apparatus, elevators [lifts], hoists, jacks [machines], lifting apparatus, lifts, other than ski-lifts, moving staircases [escalators]/escalators, pulleys*, rack and pinion jacks, waggon lifts/truck lifts.
- Conveyors and conveyors belts, belt conveyors, belts for conveyors, conveyors [machines], pneumatic transporters, pneumatic tube conveyors/tube conveyors, pneumatic.
- Packaging machines, bottle filling machines, bottle stoppering machines, bottle capping machines, bottle sealing machines, packaging machines, packing machines, sealing machines for industrial purposes, electrical apparatus for sealing plastics [packaging], wrapping machines.
- Machines and machine tools for treatment of materials and for manufacturing, aerocondensers, agitators, air condensers, basket presses, beating machines, bicycle assembling machines, braiding machines, cigarette machines for industrial purposes, condensing installations, cord making machines, dyeing machines, electric hammers, electromechanical machines for chemical industry, glass working machines, guns [tools using explosives], hammers [parts of machines], hand-held tools, other than hand-operated, heel-making machines, machine tools, machines for processing plastics, metalworking machines, mixers [machines], mixing machines, oil refining machines, pneumatic hammers, potters' wheels, power hammers, racket stringing machines, rinsing machines, stone working machines, tin openers, electric/can openers, electric, tools [parts of machines], trimming machines/apparatus for dressing/apparatus for machining, trueing machines, vibrators [machines] for industrial use, vulcanisation apparatus, woodworking machines.
- Cutting, drilling, abrading, sharpening and surface treatment equipment, blade sharpening [stropping] machines/stropping machines, blade holders [parts of machines], blades [parts of machines], chisels for machines, clippers [machines], cutters [machines], cutting machines, cutting blow pipes, gas-operated, die-cutting and tapping machines/nut-tapping machines, dividing machines, electric arc cutting apparatus, engraving machines, finishing machines, glaziers' diamonds [parts of machines], grindstones [parts of machines]/sharpening wheels [parts of machines], knives, electric, lathes [machine tools], leather paring machines, milling machines, mortizing machines/paring machines, notchers [machine tools], planing machines, punches for punching machines, punching machines, scissors, electric, sharpening machines, shears, electric, shredders [machines] for industrial use, thermic lances [machines], threading machines, machines and apparatus for wax-polishing, electric.
- Power drills and bores, drill chucks [parts of machines], drilling bits [parts of machines], drilling heads [parts of machines], drilling machines, electric hand drills.
- Power saws, chain saws, saw blades [parts of machines], saws [machines].
- Mills and crushing machines, centrifugal mills, disintegrators, mills [machines], millstones, pulverisers [machines]/atomisers [machines]/spraying machines, rolling mill cylinders, rolling mills.
- Shaping and moulding machines, bending machines, calenders/mangles, compressed air guns for the extrusion of mastics, die-stamping machines, hemming machines, metal drawing machines, moulding machines/molding machines, moulds [parts of machines]/molds [parts of machines], presses [machines for industrial purposes], smoothing presses, stamping machines, swaging machines.
- Fastening and joining tools and equipment, gas-operated blow torches, riveting machines.
- welding and soldering equipment, electric arc welding apparatus, electric welding apparatus, electrodes for welding machines, soldering irons, gas-operated, soldering apparatus, gas-operated/welding apparatus, gas-operated, soldering blow pipes, gas-operated, soldering apparatus, electric, soldering irons, electric, soldering lamps, welding machines, electric.
- Filtering machines, separators and centrifuges, cartridges for filtering machines, centrifugal machines/centrifuges [machines], filter presses, filtering machines, separators, sieves [machines or parts of machines], stalk separators [machines], steam/oil separators, water separators/drain cocks.
- Coating machines, electroplating machines, galvanizing machines, painting machines, tarring machines.
- waste management and recycling machines, garbage [waste] disposals/garbage disposals/waste disposals/waste disposers [machines], sewage pulverizers/sewage pulverisers, waste compacting machines/trash compacting machines.
- Printing and bookbinding machines, bookbinding apparatus and machines for industrial purposes, boxes for matrices [printing], embossing machines, inking apparatus for printing machines, labellers [machines], matrices for use in printing, paper feeders [printing], printing machines, printing rollers for machines, printing cylinders, printing machines for use on sheet metal, printing plates, printing presses, rotary printing presses, stereotype machines, tympans [parts of printing presses], type-setting machines [printing], type-setting machines [photocomposition], typecasting machines, typographic machines, typographic presses.
- Textile and leather sewing equipment, darning machines, lasts for shoes [parts of machines]/shoe lasts [parts of machines], pedal drives for sewing machines, sewing machines, stitching machines, tambours for embroidery machines.
- Material production and processing machines, fleshing machines, leather-working machines, tobacco processing machines, Metal production machines, converters for steelworks, foundry machines, puddling machines.
- Textile production machines, bobbins for weaving looms/reels for weaving looms, card clothing [parts of carding machines], carding machines, friezing machines, gears for weaving looms, hosiery looms, knitting machines, lace making machines, loom shafts, looms, machines for the textile industry, satinizing machines, sliders for knitting machines/carriages for knitting machines/slides for knitting machines, spinning machines, spinning frames, spinning wheels.
- Paper production machines, paper machines, papermaking machines, sizing machines.
- Food and beverage processing and preparation equipment, aerated beverage-making machines, aerated water making apparatus, beaters, electric, apparatus for drawing up beer under pressure, beverage preparation machines, electromechanical, blenders, electric, for household purposes, bread cutting machines, brewing machines, butter machines, churns, coffee grinders, other than hand-operated, cream/milk separators, machines for making edible pastes, flour mill machines, food processors, electric, food preparation machines, electromechanical, fruit presses, electric, for household purposes, grating machines for vegetables, grinders/crushers, electric, for household purposes/domestic crushers/grinders, electric, kitchen machines, electric*, kneading machines, meat choppers [machines]/meat mincers [machines], teat cups [suction cups] for milking machines/suction cups for milking machines/teat cups for milking machines, mills for household purposes, other than hand-operated, mineral water making machines, pepper mills other than hand-operated, sausage machines, sugar making machines, whisks, electric, for household purposes, wine presses.
- Engines, powertrains, and generic machine parts, aeronautical engines, aeroplane engines, engines for air cushion vehicles, anti-friction bearings for machines/anti-friction pads for machines, anti-pollution devices for motors and engines, aprons [parts of machines]/carriage aprons, axles for machines, ball rings for bearings, ball-bearings, bearing brackets for machines, bearings [parts of machines], bearings for transmission shafts, belts for machines, belts for motors and engines, machine boiler scale collectors, boiler tubes [parts of machines], brake linings other than for vehicles, brake segments other than for vehicles, brake shoes other than for vehicles, brake pads other than for vehicles, brushes [parts of machines], carburetter feeders, carburetters, catalytic converters, chucks [parts of machines], clack valves [parts of machines], clutches other than for land vehicles, compressed air engines, condensers [steam] [parts of machines], connecting rods for machines, motors and engines, control cables for machines, engines or motors, control mechanisms for machines, engines or motors, hydraulic controls for machines, motors and engines, pneumatic controls for machines, motors and engines, couplings other than for land vehicles, cowlings [parts of machines]/guards [parts of machines]/hoods [parts of machines], crank shafts, crankcases for machines, motors and engines, cranks [parts of machines], cylinder heads for engines, cylinders for machines, cylinders for motors and engines, de-aerators for feedwater, driving motors other than for land vehicles, driving chains other than for land vehicles, drums [parts of machines], dynamo belts, engines for boats, exhausts for motors and engines, expansion tanks [parts of machines], fan belts for motors and engines, fans for motors and engines, feeders [parts of machines], feedwater regulators, filters for cleaning cooling air, for engines, filters [parts of machines or engines], fittings for engine boilers, flues for engine boilers, freewheels other than for land vehicles, fuel economisers for motors and engines, fuel conversion apparatus for internal combustion engines, gear boxes other than for land vehicles, gears, other than for land vehicles, glow plugs for Diesel engines, grease rings [parts of machines], grease boxes [parts of machines], guides for machines, hangers [parts of machines], heat exchangers [parts of machines], holding devices for machine tools, housings [parts of machines], hydraulic turbines, hydraulic engines and motors, igniting devices for internal combustion engines, igniting magnetos, injectors for engines, jet engines other than for land vehicles, joints [parts of engines]/sealing joints [parts of engines], journal boxes [parts of machines], journals [parts of machines], kick starters for motorcycles, knives [parts of machines], lubricators [parts of machines], machine wheels, machine wheelwork, machine fly-wheels, exhaust manifold for engines, motors, other than for land vehicles/engines, other than for land vehicles, motors for boats, motors, electric, other than for land vehicles, mud catchers and collectors [machines], mufflers for motors and engines/silencers for motors and engines, piston segments/piston rings, pistons for cylinders, pistons for engines, pistons [parts of machines or engines], pressure reducers [parts of machines], pressure regulators [parts of machines], pressure valves [parts of machines], propulsion mechanisms other than for land vehicles, pumps [parts of machines, engines or motors], radiators [cooling] for motors and engines, reduction gears other than for land vehicles, reels [parts of machines], regulators [parts of machines], roller bearings, saw benches [parts of machines], self-oiling bearings, self-regulating fuel pumps, shaft couplings [machines], shock absorber plungers [parts of machines]/dashpot plungers [parts of machines]/plunger pistons, shuttles [parts of machines], slide rests [parts of machines], sparking plugs for internal combustion engines, speed governors for machines, engines and motors, springs [parts of machines], stands for machines, starters for motors and engines, stators [parts of machines], steam engines, steam traps, steam engine boilers, stuffing boxes [parts of machines], superchargers, superheaters, tables for machines, taps [parts of machines, engines or motors], torque converters other than for land vehicles, transmission shafts, other than for land vehicles, transmission chains other than for land vehicles, transmissions, other than for land vehicles, transmissions for machines, turbines other than for land vehicles, turbocompressors, universal joints [Cardan joints], valves [parts of machines], water heaters [parts of machines].
- Dispensing machines, adhesive tape dispensers [machines], distribution machines, automatic/vending machines, fuel dispensing pumps for service stations, glue guns, electric.
- Vending machines, Spraying machines, air brushes for applying colour, spray guns for paint.
- Sweeping, cleaning, washing and laundering machines, acetylene cleaning apparatus, bottle washing machines, brushes, electrically operated, machines and apparatus for carpet shampooing, electric, central vacuum cleaning installations, machines and apparatus for cleaning, electric, cleaning appliances utilizing steam, coin-operated washing machines, degreasers [machines], dishwashers, dust exhausting installations for cleaning purposes, dust removing installations for cleaning purposes, high pressure washers, parquet wax-polishers, electric, machines and apparatus for polishing [electric], shoe polishers, electric, spin driers [not heated], vacuum cleaner attachments for disseminating perfumes and disinfectants, vacuum cleaner hoses, vacuum cleaners, vacuum cleaner bags, washing machines [laundry], washing apparatus, washing installations for vehicles/vehicle washing installations, whitewashing machines/colour-washing machines.
- Ironing machines and laundry presses, ironing machines, rotary steam presses, portable, for fabrics, wringing machines for laundry.
- Exterior clearing and cleaning equipment, road sweeping machines [self-propelled], snow ploughs.