The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (PTO), the federal agency that oversees the registration of federal trademarks, divides marks into 45 different "classes" of products or services. The purpose of these classes is to allow different types of businesses to register their trademarks into categories most related to their industry or business. Class 6 includes mainly unwrought and partly wrought common metals as well as simple products made of them. See below for a complete listing of all goods in Class 6.
For more information about trademarks and federal registration, see Nolo's articles on Trademark.
Examples of Trademarks in Class 6
Many marks fall into Class 6. Consider, for example: ELITE (fencing systems), BLACK & DECKER (ladders), LIGHTFOOT (fasteners), and HANDYTUBE (stainless steel tubing).
You would not use Class 6 if you were registering:
Related or "Coordinated" Classes
A coordinated class is one that is related to another class, usually because the PTO has determined that applicants filing within Class 6 often file in the coordinated classes, too. If you are not sure whether you should register in Class 6, you might also have a look at the following “coordinated” classes: Class 11 - Appliances, Class 17 - Rubber Products, Class 19 - Building Materials. Class 20 - Furniture, Class 35 - Advertising and Business Services, Class 37 - Construction and Repair Services, Class 40 - Material Treatment Services, and Class 42 - Science and Technology Services.
Remember, trademark registration is based on a class system. For each class of goods or services that you register, you must pay a separate registration fee. So if you apply for a trademark for posters (Class 16) and shirts (Class 25), you must pay two fees. You must indicate the correct class at the time you are registering a trademark. If you list the incorrect class, you must start the application process over.
Your registrations are restricted to those classes that encompass the goods or services you are already offering (as shown by the specimens you submit) or that you plan to offer (if you are registering on an intent-to-use basis). You may also need information about the class number in order to narrow a search of the PTO's trademark database.
Specimens for Class 6
If the mark is used in commerce, you must furnish a specimen of the mark as consumers see it. The specimen must show the mark as used on or in connection with the goods in commerce. A trademark specimen should be a label, tag, or container for the goods, or a display associated with the goods. A photocopy or other reproduction of a specimen of the mark as actually used on or in connection with the goods is acceptable.
In most cases, where the trademark is applied to the goods or the containers for the goods in Class 6 by means of labels, a label is an acceptable specimen. Shipping or mailing labels may be accepted if they are affixed to the goods or to the containers for the goods and if proper trademark usage is shown. They are not acceptable if the mark as shown is merely used as a trade name and not as a trademark. An example of this is the use of the term solely as a return address.
Stamping a trademark on the goods, on the container, or on tags or labels attached to the goods or containers, is a proper method of trademark affixing. The trademark may be imprinted in the body of the goods, as with metal stamping; it may be applied by a rubber stamp; or it may be inked on by using a stencil or template. When a trademark is used in this manner, photographs or facsimiles showing the actual stamping or stenciling are acceptable as specimens.
The terminology “applied to the containers for the goods” means applied to any type of commercial packaging that is normal for the particular goods as they move in trade. Thus, a showing of the trademark on the normal commercial package for the particular Class 6 goods is an acceptable specimen. A specimen showing use of the trademark on a vehicle in which the goods are marketed to the relevant purchasers may constitute use of the mark on a container for the goods, if this is the normal mode of use of a mark for the particular goods.
Complete Listing of All Goods in Class 6 Based on Taxonomy
- Armour plating, armour plate, building materials of metal, building boards of metal/building panels of metal, ceilings of metal, cornices of metal, fittings of metal for building, flanges of metal [collars], flashing of metal, for building, floor tiles of metal, floors of metal, girders of metal, gratings of metal/grilles of metal, roof gutters of metal, street gutters of metal, joists of metal, laths of metal, latticework of metal/trellis of metal, linings of metal [building]/cladding of metal for construction and building, lintels of metal, manhole covers of metal, paving blocks of metal, refractory construction materials of metal, reinforcing materials, of metal, for concrete, reinforcing materials of metal for building, roof flashing of metal, roof coverings of metal, roofing of metal, sheet piles of metal/pilings of metal, shuttering of metal for concrete, tile floorings of metal, tiles of metal, tiles of metal for building, wainscotting of metal, wall claddings of metal [building], wall linings of metal [building].
- Railway materials, fish plates [rails], loading gauge rods, of metal, for railway waggons/loading gauge rods, of metal, for railway wagons, materials of metal for funicular railway permanent ways, railway points/railway switches, railway material of metal, railway sleepers of metal/railroad ties of metal, turntables [railways].
- Pipes, tubes and hoses, and fittings therefor, including valves, branching pipes of metal, casings of metal for oilwells, collars of metal for fastening pipes/clips of metal for pipes/wall hooks of metal for pipes, drain pipes of metal, drain traps [valves] of metal, ducts of metal, for central heating installations/ducts and pipes of metal for central heating installations/pipes of metal, for central heating installations, ducts of metal for ventilating and air conditioning installations, elbows of metal for pipes, fittings of metal for compressed air ducts, gutter pipes of metal, junctions of metal for pipes, manifolds of metal for pipelines, penstock pipes of metal, pipe muffs of metal, pipework of metal, reels of metal, non-mechanical, for flexible hoses, reinforcing materials of metal for pipes, rings of metal*/stop collars of metal*, steel tubes/steel pipes, tubes of metal/pipes of metal, valves of metal, other than parts of machines, water-pipe valves of metal, water-pipes of metal, winding spools of metal, non-mechanical, for flexible hoses.
- Unprocessed and semi-processed materials of metal, not specified for use, alloys of common metal, aluminium, aluminium foil*, anti-friction metal, balls of steel, beryllium [glucinium]/glucinium [beryllium], blooms [metallurgy], brass, unwrought or semi-wrought, bronze, cadmium, cast steel, cast iron, unwrought or semi-wrought, celtium [hafnium]/hafnium [celtium], cermets, chrome iron, chrome ores, chromium, cobalt, raw, common metals, unwrought or semi-wrought, copper, unwrought or semi-wrought, filings of metal, galena [ore], German silver, germanium, indium, ingots of common metal, iron slabs, iron, unwrought or semi-wrought, iron strip/hoop iron, iron ores, molybdenum iron, lead, unwrought or semi-wrought, limonite, magnesium, manganese, metals in powder form*, molybdenum, nickel, nickel-silver, niobium, ores of metal, poles of metal, pyrophoric metals, sheets and plates of metal, silicon iron, silver plated tin alloy, steel, unwrought or semi-wrought, steel alloys, steel strip/hoop steel, steel sheets, tantalum [metal], tin, tinfoil, tinplate, titanium iron/ferrotitanium, titanium, tombac, tungsten iron, tungsten, vanadium, white metal, zinc, zirconium.
- Metal hardware, anchor plates/tie plates, anchors*, angle irons, anvils [portable], anvils, beak-irons [bick-irons], bed casters of metal, bells for animals, bells*, belt stretchers of metal, bicycle parking installations of metal, brackets of metal for building, broom handles of metal, buckles of common metal [hardware], building or furniture fittings of nickel-silver, cask stands of metal, chimney cowls of metal, chimney pots of metal, clips of metal for cables and pipes, clothes hooks of metal, copper rings, crampons [climbing irons]/ice nails [climbing irons], cramps of metal [crampons]/crampons of metal [cramps], diving boards of metal, door scrapers/foot scrapers, ferrules of metal for walking sticks, ferrules of metal for handles, ferrules of metal, firedogs [andirons], fittings of metal for furniture, fittings of metal for beds, furnace fire screens/furnace screens, furnace fireguards, furniture casters of metal, grease nipples, handcuffs, hinges of metal, hooks [metal hardware], hooks for slate [metal hardware], hooks of metal for clothes rails, ironmongery*/hardware* of metal, small, jets of metal, knife handles of metal, knobs of metal, lead seals, letter boxes of metal, mooring buoys of metal, nozzles of metal, pitons of metal [mountaineering equipment], pot hooks of metal, pulleys of metal, other than for machines, registration plates of metal/numberplates of metal, reinforcing materials of metal for machine belts, rope thimbles of metal, screw tops of metal for bottles, scythe handles of metal, shims, sleeves [metal hardware], springs [metal hardware], spurs, stops of metal, strap-hinges of metal, tension links, tent pegs of metal, tool handles of metal, traps for wild animals*, trays of metal*, tree protectors of metal, vice claws of metal, vice benches of metal, wheel clamps [boots], wind-driven bird-repelling devices made of metal, wire cloth/wire gauze.
- Nuts, bolts and fasteners, bolts of metal, box fasteners of metal, cotter pins of metal, eye bolts/screw rings, horseshoe nails, machine belt fasteners of metal, nails, nuts of metal, pegs of metal, pins [hardware], plugs of metal/bungs of metal, rivets of metal, screws of metal, tacks [nails]/brads, wall plugs of metal, washers of metal, Locks and keys, lock bolts, bolts, flat, door bolts of metal, keys, locks of metal, other than electric, locks of metal for vehicles, locks of metal for bags, padlocks, rings of common metal for keys, spring locks.
- welding and soldering materials, brazing alloys, rods of metal for brazing, gold solder, rods of metal for brazing and welding, silver solder, soldering wire of metal, rods of metal for welding.
- Molds, chill-moulds [foundry]/chill-molds [foundry], foundry molds [moulds] of metal, ice moulds of metal, mouldings of metal for cornices/moldings of metal for cornices.
- Cables, wires and chains, aluminium wire, bands of metal for tying-up purposes/wrapping or binding bands of metal, barbed wire, binding screws of metal for cables, bindings of metal, cable joints of metal, non-electric/cable linkages of metal, non-electric, cables of metal, non-electric, cattle chains, chains of metal*, copper wire, not insulated, couplings of metal for chains, iron wire, stretchers for iron bands [tension links], ropes of metal, safety chains of metal, steel wire, stretchers for metal bands [tension links], telpher cables, thread of metal for tying-up purposes, wire of common metal, wire stretchers [tension links], wire of common metal alloys, except fuse wire, wire rope.
- Doors, gates, windows and window coverings of metal, casement windows of metal, door stops of metal/gate stops of metal, door closers, non-electric/door springs, non-electric, door handles of metal, door panels of metal, door openers, non-electric, door frames of metal/door casings of metal, door fittings of metal, door knockers of metal, door bells of metal, non-electric, doors of metal*, fittings of metal for windows, gates of metal, insect screens of metal, ironwork for windows, ironwork for doors, jalousies of metal, latch bars of metal, latches of metal, outdoor blinds of metal, roller blinds of steel, runners of metal for sliding doors, shutters of metal, sills of metal, turnstiles of metal, window stops of metal/sash fasteners of metal for windows, window pulleys/sash pulleys, window casement bolts, window fasteners of metal, window frames of metal, windows of metal.
- Structures and transportable buildings of metal, arbours [structures of metal], aviaries of metal [structures], bars for metal railings, bird baths [structures of metal], mobile boarding stairs of metal for passengers, buildings, transportable, of metal, buildings of metal, cabanas of metal, chicken-houses of metal, chimney shafts of metal, chimneys of metal, crash barriers of metal for roads, duckboards of metal, fences of metal, floating docks of metal, for mooring boats, frames of metal for building, framework of metal for building, greenhouse frames of metal, greenhouses of metal, transportable, guard rails of metal, masts of metal, mooring bollards of metal, paint spraying booths of metal/booths of metal for spraying paint, palings of metal, partitions of metal, pigsties of metal, pillars of metal for buildings, platforms, prefabricated, of metal, porches of metal [building], posts of metal, posts of metal for electric lines/poles of metal, for electric lines, prefabricated houses [kits] of metal, props of metal, rails of metal, rocket launching platforms of metal, silos of metal, skating rinks [structures of metal], stables of metal, stair treads [steps] of metal, staircases of metal, steel masts, steel buildings, stringers [parts of staircases] of metal, swimming pools [metal structures], telegraph posts of metal, telephone booths of metal/telephone boxes of metal.
- Signs, and information and advertising displays, advertisement columns of metal, badges of metal for vehicles, beacons of metal, non-luminous, house numbers of metal, non-luminous, identification bracelets of metal, for hospitals, identity plates of metal, letters and numerals of common metal, except type, signalling panels, non-luminous and non-mechanical, of metal, signboards of metal, signs, non-luminous and non-mechanical, of metal, for roads, signs, non-luminous and non-mechanical, of metal.
- Ladders and scaffolding, ladders of metal, scaffolding of metal, steps [ladders] of metal, Vaults and safes, cashboxes of metal, safes [strong boxes], safety cashboxes.
- Statues and works of art of common metals, bronzes for tombstones/monuments of bronze for tombs, bronzes [works of art], busts of common metal, figurines [statuettes] of common metal/statuettes of common metal, grave slabs of metal/tomb slabs of metal, memorial plates of metal/memorial plaques of metal, monuments of metal, statues of common metal, tombs of metal, monuments of metal for tombs, tombstone plaques of metal, tombstone stelae of metal, weather- or wind-vanes of metal/weather vanes of metal/wind vanes of metal, vaults of metal [burial], works of art of common metal.
- Containers, and transportation and packaging articles, of metal, barrels of metal, baskets of metal, bottle caps of metal/capsules of metal for bottles/sealing caps of metal for bottles, bottle closures of metal/bottle fasteners of metal, bottles [metal containers] for compressed gas or liquid air, boxes of common metal, metal cages for wild animals, casks of metal, chests of metal for food/meat safes of metal, chests of metal/bins of metal, closures of metal for containers, containers of metal for storing acids, containers of metal [storage, transport], containers of metal for compressed gas or liquid air, containers of metal for liquid fuel, enclosures of metal for tombs, fittings of metal for coffins, floating containers of metal, handling pallets of metal, hoppers of metal, non-mechanical, loading pallets of metal, packaging containers of metal, preserving boxes of metal/preserve tins/tin cans, sealing caps of metal, tanks of metal, taps for casks of metal, tinplate packings, tool boxes of metal, empty, tool chests of metal, empty, troughs of metal for mixing mortar, tubbing of metal, vats of metal.
- Packaging, wrapping and bundling articles, barrel hoops of metal, binding thread of metal for agricultural purposes, braces of metal for handling loads/harness of metal for handling loads/braces of metal for load handling/harness of metal for load handling, foils of metal for wrapping and packaging, sheaf binders of metal, slings of metal for handling loads, straps of metal for handling loads/belts of metal for handling loads/straps of metal for load handling, transport pallets of metal.
- Dispensers, towel dispensers, fixed, of metal.