What can I do while my asylum application is pending?

Studying, working, and other possibilities during the months or years of waiting for an asylum decision.


It feels like I submitted my application for asylum so long ago and I still haven’t gotten a decision. I’m wondering if I can do anything while I am waiting? I was thinking about taking a college course or getting a job. Also, am I allowed to move somewhere else within the United States?


It can take USCIS longer than expected to process some affirmative asylum applications; and defensive asylum cases in Immigration Court can drag on for years. Taking such delays into account, people with pending asylum applications or cases who have been waiting for 150 days or more without a decision are allowed to apply for employment authorization.

You can do this by submitting Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization along with the receipt notice showing the date when your Form I-589, Application for Asylum and Withholding of Removal was received by either the Immigration Court or USCIS. However, keep in mind that actions that you have taken to delay the process – such as requesting a continuance of a hearing or rescheduling an interview – will “stop the clock” and might add additional days to the time by which you are able to apply for a work permit. (See "How to Apply for a Work Permit While Awaiting an Asylum Decision" for more information.)

Since you are legally authorized to remain in the U.S. while your asylum case is pending, you should be able to attend higher education classes as well, though you might not be eligible for certain internship or work study programs in which students in the U.S. on an F-1 student visa can participate. Also, it will be up to the college or university whether or not to grant you in-state tuition rates or to allow you to take courses for credit.

You can also move to another location within the U.S., but be sure to notify either USCIS or the Immigration Court of your change of address as soon as possible. This may also delay the processing of your application or case. If your case is in Immigration Court, you will also need to file a Motion to Change Venue if you are moving outside the jurisdiction of that Court. You should consult with an immigration attorney to help you do this.

Talk to a Lawyer

Need a lawyer? Start here.

How it Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you

Talk to an Asylum attorney.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you