Washington D.C. Foreclosure Law Center

Most foreclosures in the District of Columbia are completed nonjudicially, which means they don’t go through court. Your lender, however, must provide you with certain notices along the way, including a notice about available mediation. If you are losing your home because of unemployment or underemployment, you might get help from Washington, DC's Hardest Hit Program. Be aware that if you do lose your home through foreclosure and the sale proceeds don’t cover the balance of your mortgage, your lender can sue you to collect the difference (called the deficiency).

Below you can learn about these and other key features of foreclosure procedures in the District of Columbia. And be sure to check out our  Foreclosure Center  for more articles on foreclosure, alternatives to foreclosure, government programs to help you avoid foreclosure, and more.


Talk to a Foreclosure attorney.

We've helped 75 clients find attorneys today.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you