The U.S. Sponsor's Financial Responsibilities

If you (a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident) are petitioning for an immigrating husband, wife, parent, child, brother, or sister to receive a U.S. green card, an important part of your role is ensuring that the immigrant will not be found inadmissible as a likely "public charge." Put another way, you'll need to show the U.S. government that your relative will not receive welfare or other need-based public assistance. One important and required way of doing this is to promise that you will support the immigrant at a level above the U.S. Poverty Guidelines, and will reimburse the government for any assistance the immigrant claims for a period of time. Learn more about your obligations here.


Talk to an Immigration attorney.

We've helped 85 clients find attorneys today.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you