Notifying National Visa Center (NVC) About a Change of Address Before Visa Interview

Don't rely on USCIS or other government agency to pass along the word that you, the intending immigrant, or the U.S. petitioner has moved or has different contact information.

If you have an immigrant visa case in process (for example, a U.S. family member has petitioned for you), and if your final interview will be held at a U.S. consulate in another country, it's likely that your application file will, at some point, be handled by the National Visa Center (NVC).

That's particularly true if your case is one where you're either waiting for an available visa number (because you're not an "immediate relative" of a U.S. citizen or your "priority date" isn't yet current).

With the NVC the sole holder of your file at some point, it's especially important that you advise it of any changes of address or other contact information.

What Is the NVC?

The NVC has no decision-making power, but it plays an important administrative role. It acts as a sort of an intermediary: handling files after initial petition approval by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), maintaining the files while waiting for current priority dates and available visas, and then arranging for transfer of the file to an overseas U.S. consulate or embassy.

Depending on the type of visa you qualify for, your file might be held at the NVC for anywhere from several weeks to several years or even decades.

Why Do You Need to Send the NVC a Separate Change of Address Notification?

The NVC is an independent agency, not truly a part of either USCIS or the Department of State. Therefore, you can't count on one of these agencies passing along your latest contact information.

What's more, during the months or years it takes for your case to be completed, it's not unlikely that either the U.S. petitioner (the family member or employer who filed the initial visa petition, for example on Form I-130 or I-140) or the foreign-born beneficiary (the intending immigrant) will move or get a new telephone number or email address.

For many type of immigrant applications, the beneficiary, at least, would need to submit Form AR-11 to USCIS after having moved to a new address.

But this does not necessarily work for cases at the NVC. Inconvenient though this is, you will need to communicate directly with it to keep your immigration plans on track.

To do so, either call the NVC's Customer Assistance Center at 1-603-334-0700 or go to its online inquiry form. If you are worried that you may have already missed some notifications, you can also use either of these two methods to contact the NVC and ask about the status of your case.

Talk to a Lawyer

Need a lawyer? Start here.

How it Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you

Talk to an Immigration attorney.

We've helped 85 clients find attorneys today.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you