My home is in foreclosure and there is a new lock on my front door. What should I do?

You may live in your home up until the foreclosure sale is over, and sometimes even longer.


I lost my job about a year ago and fell really far behind in my mortgage payments. The bank recently started a foreclosure on my home. I was out of town for a while and came home to find that I’m locked out of my house. What should I do? Do I have to find a new place to live already?


No, you don’t have to find a new place to live. The bank has the legal right to change the locks, but only if you’ve abandoned (that is, permanently moved out of) the home. Since you still live there, it can't legally do that. You have the right to stay in your home during the entire foreclosure process. (To learn the ins and outs of the foreclosure process, and foreclosure procedures in your state, visit our Foreclosure Center.)

The first thing you should do is call your mortgage servicer (the company you make your mortgage payment to). Let the servicer know that you still live in the home and that it must give you access to the property immediately. If the servicer won’t make arrangements to let you back into the home, you should contact an attorney who can help you enforce your rights.

When You Have to Move Out

You legally own the home until the bank (or a third party) gets title to the home after buying it at the foreclosure sale. This means you don’t have to move out until the foreclosure is over. (Learn more in Nolo’s article When Do You Have to Leave Your Home When It's in Foreclosure?)

In fact, you might even be able to stay in the home for a while after the foreclosure. Your state may give you a period of time to buy back or “redeem” the property after the foreclosure sale and, depending on state law, you may be able to live in the home during the redemption period. (Learn more about the right of redemption following foreclosure.)

Why the Bank Locked You Out

The mortgage contract that you signed when you took out the loan gives the bank the right to protect its interest in the home. If you permanently move out of the house, the bank will need to maintain and secure the property. As part of this process, the bank will change the locks.

Typically, the way the bank finds out if a home is abandoned is by hiring someone to do a cursory drive-by inspection to see if anyone is living there. In your case, it’s possible that the inspector mistakenly thought the home was vacant since you’ve been out of town. (Learn more about steps you can take to prevent a bank from locking you out of your home without the legal right to do so.)

Talk to a Lawyer

Start here to find foreclosure lawyers near you.

How it Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you

Talk to a Foreclosure attorney.

We've helped 75 clients find attorneys today.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you