How Long It Takes to Get a Student Visa to the U.S.

Timing to plan around, both with respect to the school schedule and that of the U.S. government office with which you will be dealing.

Applying for an F-1 or M-1 student visa for study in the U.S. is not a lengthy process. Nevertheless, you will need to figure out two separate calendaring issues:

  1. the admission schedule for the schools to which you plan to apply, and
  2. the typical processing schedule for the U.S. consulate through which you will obtain your visa.

Your school will likely provide you with helpful information and support in the visa application process, but ultimately it will be up to you to apply for a U.S. student visa.

When to Start Applying to Schools

If you are applying to academic programs (requiring an F-1 visa), start contacting schools at least a year before you plan to start your studies. The school year usually starts in August or September.

Competition for entry to schools in the United States can be fierce, especially if they are big-name schools like Harvard or Stanford. You will probably want to submit between five and ten applications to a mix of schools, including some that you know you have a good chance of being admitted to.

If you are planning to apply to a vocational program (requiring an M-1 visa), the calendar will not be so predictable. You will need to contact the school(s) directly for information on admission and scheduling.

Only after the school has admitted you and issued a SEVIS Form I-20 can you take the next step and apply for your student visa. Prepare your application in accordance with Nolo's guidance offered under Student and Exchange Visitor Visas.

When to Apply to a U.S. Consulate

On the other hand, you don’t want to apply too late. The U.S. consulate may not issue your visa decision, nor the visa itself, on the same day as you appear in person to apply. In some cases, applications are referred for further administrative processing, which can take up to 60 days or more from the interview date to be resolved. Check with your local U.S. consulate for its suggestions on timing and application procedures. Many recommend applying three to six weeks in advance of your intended travel.

If you are already in the U.S. and in lawful status, and prefer to switch to student status without leaving for your home country, you can do so by submitting a form called an I-539. In that case, you will not be dealing with a U.S. consulate, but with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), in the United States. You will need to check into how long the USCIS office that will handle your request is taking to process Forms I-539, for a change of status. To find this out, go to the USCIS Processing Time Information page of the USCIS website and review the processing times for the California and Vermont Service Centers from the drop-down menu. As you will see from the instructions for Form I-539, you will submit your application to a “lockbox” in Texas. When you receive your filing confirmation via U.S. Mail, it will have your case number. Case numbers that begin with WAC are for California, while EAC refers to cases at the Vermont Service Center. Reviewing both Service Centers’ processing times in advance will give you an idea of how long it will take for USCIS to process your I-539 Application.

As of late 2016, USCIS was taking just short of three months to process change of status applications for F-1 and M-1 students at the California Service Center. The Vermont Service Center was slightly faster and two and a half months. You would want to apply earlier than this timeframe.

Talk to a Lawyer

Need a lawyer? Start here.

How it Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you

Talk to an Immigration attorney.

We've helped 85 clients find attorneys today.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you