Deceptive Foreclosure Practices: When Banks Treat Occupied Homes as Vacant

Banks have been locking homeowners in foreclosure out of their homes without the legal right to do so. Learn how you might be able to prevent this.

Homeowners who've fallen behind on their mortgage payments and are in foreclosure have the legal right to remain in their home until the process has been completed. If a home is vacant, the loan owner (the "bank") can go in and secure the home. But sometimes a bank—or its agent—prematurely locks the homeowners out of their own homes, illegally removes personal property, and damages the home itself in the process.

Read on to learn more about your right to occupy your home during foreclosure, when a bank may take steps to secure the property after you fall behind in payments, and what to do to make sure the bank does not treat your home like it is vacant when it isn't.

You Have the Right to Occupy the Home During Foreclosure

The foreclosure process works differently in different states. In some states, the bank has to file a lawsuit with the court to foreclose, while in others, it can foreclose without going to court.

Homeowners have the right to remain in the home during the foreclosure process and can only be evicted after the foreclosure is concluded. (To learn more about when you need to move out in a foreclosure, see When Do You Have to Leave Your Home When It's in Foreclosure?)

State law sets specific procedures for foreclosures and evictions after foreclosure.

The Mortgage Gives the Bank the Right to Secure the Property if Vacant

While you have the right to occupy the home during foreclosure, if you abandon the property, most mortgages (and deeds of trust) give the bank the right to do whatever is reasonable or appropriate to protect its interest in the property.

Generally, a bank may do the following things to secure the property if the property is vacant:

  • enter the property to make repairs
  • change the locks or padlock the entrance
  • replace or board up doors and windows
  • drain water from pipes
  • remove debris or trash
  • have utilities turned on or off, and
  • eliminate building or other code violations or dangerous conditions.

Generally, the task of securing the property falls on the servicer, which typically farms out these services (called "field services") to property management firms, which are called "field service companies" or "property preservation companies."

Field Service Companies

Field service companies enter into contracts with banks and servicers to either:

  • provide the physical inspection and property preservation services needed themselves, or
  • manage a network of people that perform the work.

This means that subcontractors often determine the occupancy of homes and take responsibility for preserving them until the homes can be resold after the foreclosure.

How the Process Works

Once you become delinquent on your mortgage, the field service company or its subcontractor will inspect the property to determine its occupancy status. If the inspector deems the home vacant or insecure (which the inspector might determine after just one drive-by visit and without making any effort to contact the potential occupants), the company will take steps to secure the property.

Unfortunately, a field service company or its subcontractors might inaccurately designate a property as vacant. When this happens, the company will likely change the locks and remove the occupant’s personal property—like computers, family photographs, and furniture—even though the house is legally occupied. The occupant might not be able to get back into the home for days, and might never have the personal items returned.

Some States Have Taken Against Field Service Companies

Certain field service companies routinely ignore the rights of occupants in the course of securing a home. But some states (and homeowners) are starting to step up to protect the rights of homeowners.

The Attorney General of Illinois filed a lawsuit accusing the largest company in the industry, Safeguard, of illegally breaking into occupied homes, locking the occupants out of the home, removing personal property, and shutting off utilities to the home, often when there was clear evidence that the property was occupied. Safeguard also misrepresented to homeowners that they were no longer allowed to live in their homes and refused to allow them to re-enter the property when, in fact, the occupants were entitled to stay until the foreclosure was completed.

Also, Maine has a law that cracks down on property preservation companies. Under Maine’s law, property preservation providers are prohibited from breaching the peace while going about their work. It also requires them to:

  • inventory all personal property removed from the home
  • keep a permanent record of all steps taken to preserve and secure the home, and
  • make that record, along with the inventory of removed items, available to the homeowner upon written request. (Maine Rev. Stat. § 11017).

Tips to Prevent the Bank from Treating Your Occupied Home as Vacant

You can take certain steps to ensure that your bank or servicer (or the field services company that it hires) doesn’t treat your occupied home as vacant.

Let Your Bank/Servicer Know You Still Live in the Home

If you're behind in payments, your servicer will probably call you to discuss the delinquency. When you talk to the servicer, let them know you're still occupying the property. All loan servicers keep communication logs that make a note of each time you call, along with information about the conversation. While the communication logs typically are not especially detailed, if later on there is a dispute about occupancy, there should be a note in the servicer’s records that you verified that you're still living in the property.

If the Servicer Treats Your Home as Vacant, Send a Letter

If the servicer, or a field service company on the servicer's behalf, takes any steps based on an assessment that the property is empty (like illegally entering the property and taking your personal property), send a letter to the bank or servicer informing it in writing that you are still occupying the property and detailing the unlawful actions. Send the letter by certified mail, return receipt requested, so you can prove that you sent it and that the bank or servicer received it.

If the Field Service Company Leaves a Notice, Call Them

The field service company might post a notice that it has deemed your property vacant before locking you out or taking other actions. Be sure to call the company and let it know that you're still living in the property. It is also a good idea to send a letter—again, via certified mail, return receipt requested—to prove that you've notified the company of your occupancy.

When to Hire an Attorney

If you're facing a foreclosure and have been wrongfully locked out of your home, your personal property has been illegally taken, or your rights otherwise violated in the foreclosure process, consider talking to a qualified attorney who can advise you about potentially filing a lawsuit, as well as other options for your particular situation.

Talk to a Lawyer

Start here to find foreclosure lawyers near you.

How it Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you

Talk to a Foreclosure attorney.

We've helped 75 clients find attorneys today.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you