Asserting Your Rights Against Discrimination

Before you can sue your employer for discrimination or harassment, you must first file a charge with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the federal agency that enforces laws prohibiting discrimination, or your state's fair employment practices agency. Once you have filed a charge and gone through the agency's process, you have only a short time in which to file a lawsuit.

The articles below describe these procedures and provide information on your rights -- including the right to work free of retaliation, if you bring a complaint. The EEOC reports that more charges allege retaliation than any type of discrimination; if you are mistreated, disciplined, or fired for complaining of discrimination or harassment, you may have a retaliation claim to add to your charge or lawsuit.

Get Professional Help

Talk to a Wrongful Termination attorney.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you