Amien Kacou

Amien Kacou is an immigration attorney and a member of the Florida Bar with experience in both public interest organizations and private practice. He is the author of several publications on immigration and national security. He holds a JD from the Florida Coastal School of Law, an MA in Global Security Studies from Johns Hopkins University, and a BA in Government and Politics from the University of Maryland.

Amien Kacou's Other Pages:

Articles By Amien Kacou

How to Prove a Parent-Child Relationship for Citizenship or Immigration Purposes
If you are allowed to live legally in the United States (whether as a U.S. citizen, green-card holder, or almost anything else), chances are your foreign-born children are eligible to live here too.
When U.S. Citizens Can Lose Their U.S. Citizenship
U.S. citizens (or nationals) can never be stripped of their U.S. citizenship (or nationality), with limited exceptions. Also, they can give citizenship up voluntarily.
What Is Diplomatic Immunity?
The term "diplomatic immunity" refers to a principle of international law that limits the degree to which foreign government and international organization officials and employees are subject to the authority of police officers and judges in their country of assignment.
How to Get a Referral to the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program
How refugees can become eligible for referrals to USRAP, where they can request such referrals, and what alternatives they should consider before choosing this route to the United States.
Claiming Asylum Based on Domestic Violence
If you fear returning to your home country because you will be the victim of domestic violence and cannot gain protection from your government, it's possible you might claim asylum in the U.S.
Qualifying for Asylum Based on Persecution for Your Race
When persecutors against against people perceived to belong to a particular race, this can give rise to an asylum claim.
Working in the U.S. on an H-1B: Can I Also Start on Online Business Based Overseas?
The U.S. government can be surprisingly strict about what constitutes unauthorized employment in the United States.
When Foreign Employees of the U.S. Government Qualify for a U.S. Green Card
Foreign employees of the U.S. government abroad may, based on years of loyalty or other special circumstances, qualify for U.S. lawful permanent residence.
Should I Tell U.S. Immigration About Foreign Arrest If Charges Dropped?
Even if it's unlikely for the U.S. government to find out about a foreign arrest, it may be safer to disclose it than hide it.
Getting a Waiver for Fraud or Other Crimes When Applying for Asylum
Even if you fall into a ground of inadmissibility, a "waiver," or legal forgiveness may allow you to go forward with your asylum application.