Fiance & Marriage Visas

Get a basic understanding of where you should begin to apply for a K-1 Fiance Visa.

If you're a noncitizen who is engaged or married to a U.S. citizen, you may qualify for a visa or green card. Not everyone qualifies, however, and its not easy to find reliable information or deal with the federal immigration bureaucracy.

Start your search for answers here. Expert author Ilona Bray shows you how to determine whether you qualify to visit or live in the United States and how to choose the best application strategy. She explains all the steps you and your spouse or fiancé will need to follow so that you can get that visa and green cardand relax, knowing you can be together legally in the United States.

Fiancé & Marriage Visas guides you through the whole process, as you prepare paperwork and collect documents, prepare for interviews with immigration officials, and wait out the two-year testing period if youve been married only  a short time. Youll find out how to make a convincing case that your marriage is for real, and get tips on how to keep your case moving through the bureaucracy.

Read the book here for free, and if youd like your own copy (in print or as a downloadable eBook), please visit our store.

See our page on Marriage Visas to begin learning about the process and procedures you need to take to get a K-1 Fiance Visa.

Additional resources on saving your small business:

Articles and FAQs on Immigration

If you need a lawyer:

Find an immigration attorney in Nolos lawyer directory

Stay up to date:

Check for legal updates to this Nolo book

Talk to a Lawyer

Need a lawyer? Start here.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you

Legal Information & Books from Nolo