Marriage-Based Visas and Green Cards

Applying for U.S. lawful permanent residence (a green card) based on marriage to a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident is relatively straightforward, and a commonly used path to a green card.

But there is still lots to know -- particularly if you have been laboring under the common misconception that marriage offers immediate or automatic U.S. citizenship. The truth is that applicants must still get through a long and demanding application process, and prove that their marriage is both valid and real, before being awarded a U.S. green card. Some will wish to enter the U.S. before getting married, on a nonimmigrant, fiance visa. Find out the details on all these possibilties here.