Application Process for a VAWA Green Card

A step-by-step guide to applying for U.S. lawful permanent residence independently, without the help of your abusive sponsor.

Related Ads

Need Professional Help? Talk to a Lawyer

Enter Your Zip Code to Connect with a Lawyer Serving Your Area

searchbox small

There are two steps to applying for a green card on your own, without relying on your abusive spouse or parent, as allowed under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA). First, you must file Form I-360 and supporting evidence with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). If your self-petition is approved, the next step is to file an application for a U.S. green card (lawful permanent residence).

This article will help guide you through the application process and let you know what to expect.

If you have any questions about your eligibility for VAWA, see "Green Card Under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA): Who Is Eligible."

Filling Out Form I-360

In order to apply for a green card under VAWA, you must first fill out USCIS Form I-360 in preparation for submitting it to USCIS. You will need to accompany this form with documentary evidence that you meet all of the eligibility requirements. The usual filing fee is waived (not required) for self-petitioning abused spouses, parents, and children.

Form I-360 is used for several different types of applications, which means you will not need to fill out the entire form. Skip the portions that say: “Part 5. Complete Only If Filing for an Amerasian;” “Part 6. Complete Only If Filing for a Special Immigrant Juvenile Court Dependent;” and “Part 8. Complete Only If Filing a Special Immigrant Religious Worker Petition.” Don’t forget to fill out Part 7 and Part 9. In addition, don’t forget to sign the application in Part 10. If someone helped you fill out this form, that person should fill out Part 11.

Most of Form I-360 is pretty straightforward; however, there are a few things to consider. First, Form I-360 allows you to use another person’s address in Part 1 instead of your own, in case you are still living with an abusive person who may get angry and punish you for filing this form. This is the address where all USCIS notices will be sent, so be sure that you can receive mail at this address in the future. If you want to use your own address, you can leave Part 1 blank and proceed to Part 2.

Self-petitioning spouses and children should check either box “i” or box “j” in Part 2. Parts 3 and 4 ask you for information about yourself. Part 7A asks for information about the abuser and Part 7B asks for more information about your relationship with the abuser. Be sure to list all children in Part 9.

What to Include With Form I-360

In addition to the form, you will need to include evidence that you meet all the requirements of VAWA. In brief, this evidence should include such items as:

  • a declaration describing your relationship, the abuse you suffered, your good moral character, and anything else relevant to proving your eligibility
  • other evidence of the abuse, such as police or hospital records or court-issued protective orders
  • police clearance records showing your criminal record, or lack thereof, and other evidence that you are a person of "good moral character" -- you can obtain the certificates from the police department of any town you have lived in during the last three years for more than six months
  • a copy of your passport or birth certificate
  • proof that the abuser is a U.S. citizen or green card holder
  • proof that you are the abuser’s spouse, child, or parent
  • proof that you lived with the abuser
  • proof that you currently live in the U.S., and
  • two passport-style photos.

It is also helpful to include a cover letter on top of the application describing how you meet each requirement and the evidence you have submitted to prove it.

Submitting Form I-360

The I-360 page of the USCIS website contains complete submission instructions -- but there's one very important thing you need to figure out before you send it in. Are you the immediate relative of your abusive sponsor (i.e. the spouse or minor, unmarried child of a U.S. citizen), or do you have a current priority date (based on a previously filed I-130)?

If so, you can save a lot of time by filing your I-360 at the same time, or "concurrently," as your green card application (described below). That way, you don't have to wait for USCIS approval of the I-360 before moving forward with your green card application. If not -- for example, if you're the spouse or child or a U.S. permanent resident and he or she has never submitted a visa petition on your behalf -- you will need to submit your Form I-360 separately to USCIS.

What Happens After You Submit the I-360 Self-Petition?

After USCIS receives your I-360 petition, it will send a receipt notice to the address you have provided on the form. USCIS will then review the self-petition to see whether it can be approved if everything you stated within is true. This is called a “prima facie determination.” If USCIS decides that your self-petition can be approved if it is true, it will send you a “Prima Facie Approval” letter. This does not mean you are granted anything yet. It does, however, mean that you can qualify for some types of public assistance.

After sending this Prima Facie Approval letter, USCIS will take more time to look carefully at your self-petition. If USCIS needs more evidence, it will send you a letter asking for it. You will have 60 days to give USCIS the new evidence or an explanation as to why you cannot do so.

If USCIS does not believe you qualify after sending in the new evidence, then it will send you a “Notice of Intent to Deny.” This will state the reasons why USCIS believes you do not qualify and it will give you additional time to send the evidence needed to approve your self-petition. If you do not do so, USCIS will deny the self-petition. If USCIS believes it has enough evidence, it will send an approval letter.

After Your I-360 Is Approved

After USCIS approves your I-360, you can begin to prepare your application to adjust your status (receive a green cards). The main form for this is USCIS Form I-485. If the abuser was a U.S. citizen, then you are eligible to apply as soon as your I-360 has been approved.

If the abuser was a permanent resident (green card holder), however, you will have to wait for a visa to become available in order to apply for your green card. However, with an approved I-360, you can remain lawfully in the United States and can apply for work authorization while you wait. Your place on the waiting list is based on your "priority date," which is the date that your I-360 was approved. However, if the abuser previously filed an I-130 visa petition for you, you can use that priority date instead.

See "Adjustment of Status Procedures" for more information on this final stage of the green card application process. Because of the complexities inherent in this process, however, you'd be well advised to get a full analysis of your situation from an experienced immigration attorney, who can also help you prepare the paperwork and monitor your applications as they make their way through the system.

Talk to a Lawyer

Need a lawyer? Start here.

how it works 1
Briefly tell us about your case
how it works 2
Provide your contact information
how it works 1
Connect with local attorneys
Related Ads