Utah State Income Tax

What kind of tax will you owe on Utah business income?

Most states tax at least some types of business income derived from the state. As a rule, the details of how income from a specific business is taxed depend in part on the business’s legal form; more particularly, in most states corporations are subject to a corporate income tax, while income from “pass-through entities” such as S corporations, limited liability companies (LLCs), partnerships, and sole proprietorships is subject to a state’s tax on personal income. Tax rates for both corporate income and personal income vary widely among states; corporate rates, which more often are flat regardless of the amount of income, generally range from 4% to 9%, and personal rates, which generally vary depending on the amount of income, can range from 0% (for small amounts of taxable income) to around 9% or more in some states.

Currently, four states, Nevada, South Dakota, Washington, and Wyoming, do not have a corporate income tax, and the same four states, along with Alaska, Florida, and Texas, have no personal income tax. Individuals in New Hampshire and Tennessee are only taxed on interest and dividend income.

Apart from taxing business income through a corporate income tax or a personal income tax, many states impose a separate tax on at least some businesses, sometimes called a “franchise tax” or “privilege tax;” this is frequently defined as a tax simply for the right or “privilege” of doing business in the state. As with state taxes on business income, the specifics of a state’s franchise tax often depend in part on the legal form of the business. Franchise taxes are generally either a flat fee or an amount based on a business’s net worth.

Utah has a pair of related corporation taxes known as the franchise tax and the income tax. Both are taxes on the income of traditional (C-type) corporations; the franchise tax applies to most of these corporations, including Utah corporations; the income the income tax applies to certain non-Utah corporations. Thus, for the most part, unless your business is a traditional corporation, the business itself will not be subject to a state tax on income or net worth. However, if income from your business passes through to you personally, that income will be subject to taxation on your personal state tax return.

Utah’s franchise tax on corporation net income has a flat rate of 5%. There is a minimum tax of $100. Returns are due on the 15th day of the fourth month after the end of the corporation’s tax year; for a corporation whose tax year is the same as the calendar year, this means returns are due by April 15th. For purposes of comparison, Utah’s tax rate on personal income is also 5%.

Let’s briefly look at additional details for five of the most common forms of Utah business: corporations (i.e., C corporations), S corporations, LLCs, partnerships, and sole proprietorships.

Corporations. Utah corporations are subject to Utah’s 5% franchise tax on net income.

Example: For the 2012 tax year, your Utah corporation had net income of $500,000. Other things being equal, the corporation will owe Utah franchise tax in the amount of $25,000 (5% of $500,000).

S Corporations. An S corporation is created by first forming a traditional corporation, and then filing a special form with the IRS to elect “S” status; unlike a traditional corporation, an S corporation generally is not subject to separate federal income tax. Rather, taxable income from an S corporation is passed through to the individual shareholders, and each individual shareholder is subject to federal tax on his or her share of the corporation’s income; in other words, S corporations are “pass-through” entities. (Note that a shareholder’s share of the S corporation’s income need not actually be distributed to the shareholder in order for the shareholder to owe tax on that amount.) Utah recognizes the federal S election, and Utah S corporations are not required to pay the state’s franchise tax. However, an individual S corporation shareholder will owe tax on his or her share of the company’s income.

Example: For the 2012 tax year, your S corporation had net income of $500,000. The $500,000 will be allocated among the various corporation shareholders and each shareholder will pay 5% tax on his or her portion on his or her individual state tax return.

Limited Liability Companies (LLCs). Like S corporations, standard LLCs are pass-through entities and, generally speaking, are not required to pay income tax to either the federal government or the State of Utah. Instead, income from the business is distributed to individual LLC members, who then pay federal and state taxes on the amount distributed to them.

Also, while by default LLCs are classified for tax purposes as partnerships (or, for single-member LLCs, “disregarded entities”), it is possible to elect to have your LLC classified as a corporation. In that case, the LLC would also be subject to Utah’s franchise tax.

Example: For the 2012 tax year, your multi-member LLC, which has the default tax classification of partnership, had net income of $500,000. The $500,000 will be allocated among the various LLC members and each member will pay 5% tax on his or her portion on his or her individual state tax return.

Partnerships. Income from partnerships is distributed to the individual partners, who then pay tax on the amount distributed to them on both their federal and state tax returns.

Example: For the 2012 tax year, your partnership had net income of $500,000. The $500,000 will be allocated among the various partners and each partner will pay 5% tax on his or her portion on his or her individual state tax return.

Sole Proprietorships. Income from your business will be distributed to you as the sole proprietor, and you will pay tax to the state on that income.

Example: For the latest tax year, your sole proprietorship had net income of $200,000. The $200,000 in net income is distributed to you personally, and you’ll pay 5% tax on that income on your individual state tax return.

Note on Multistate Businesses and “Nexus”

Our primary focus here is on businesses operating solely in Utah. However, if you’re doing business in several states, you should be aware that your business may be considered to have “nexus” with those states, and therefore may be obligated to pay taxes in those states. Also, if your business was formed or is located in another state, but generates income in Utah, it may be subject to Utah taxes. The rules for taxation of multistate businesses, including what constitutes nexus with a state for the purpose of various taxes, are complicated; if you run such a business, you should consult with a tax professional.

Additional Information

For further guidance on Utah’s corporate income tax and franchise tax, check the State Tax Commission website. For information on business-related taxes in other states, check Nolo’s 50-State Guide to Business Income Tax. And, if you’re looking for detailed guidance on federal income tax issues, check Tax Savvy for Small Business, by Federick Daily (Nolo).

February 2013

Talk to a Tax Attorney

Need a lawyer? Start here.

How it Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you
Swipe to view more

Talk to a Tax attorney.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you