Mississippi Car Insurance Requirements

An overview of Mississippi's minimum car insurance requirements, how coverage is likely to affect a car accident claim, and the consequences of driving without insurance in Mississippi.

By , J.D.
Was a police report filed?Step 1 of 8
  • No matter where you live, car insurance is sure to play a big role in the wake of a car accident. Read on for the details of Mississippi's "compulsory automobile liability insurance" system, how insurance coverage typically affects different kinds of claims, and the range of penalties you're likely to face if you drive without insurance in Mississippi.

    Mississippi is a "Fault" Car Accident State

    The first thing to know is that Mississippi follows a traditional fault-based system when it comes to financial responsibility for losses stemming from a crash: that includes car accident injuries, lost income, vehicle damage, and so on.

    So, the person who was at fault for causing the car accident is also responsible for any resulting harm (from a practical standpoint, the at-fault driver's insurance carrier will absorb these losses, up to policy limits).

    In Mississippi, a person who suffers any kind of injury or damage due to an auto accident usually can proceed in one of three ways:

    • by filing a claim with his or her own insurance company, assuming that the loss is covered under the policy (in this situation, the injured person's insurance company will likely turn around and pursue a subrogation claim against the at-fault driver's carrier)
    • by filing a third-party claim directly with the at-fault driver's insurance carrier, or
    • by filing a personal injury lawsuit in civil court against the at-fault driver.

    Note: In no-fault car insurance states, a claimant doesn't usually have this same range of options. After a car accident in a no-fault state, you must turn to the personal injury protection coverage of your own car insurance policy for payment of medical bills and other out-of-pocket losses, regardless of who caused the crash. Only if your injuries reach a certain threshold can you step outside of no-fault and make a claim directly against the at-fault driver. But Mississippi drivers don't need to worry about no-fault after an in-state accident.

    Car Insurance Requirements in Mississippi

    Under Mississippi's compulsory automobile liability insurance system, all drivers must maintain liability insurance and carry proof (paper or electronic) that the vehicle is insured. These rules require the following minimum amounts of coverage:

    • $25,000 liability coverage for bodily injury or death of one person in an accident caused by the owner/driver of the insured vehicle
    • $50,000 liability coverage for total bodily injury or death liability in an accident caused by the owner/driver of the insured vehicle
    • $25,000 liability coverage for property damage per accident caused by the owner/driver of the insured vehicle.

    Note: Technically, Mississippi vehicle owners can also post a bond in these same amounts, or make an equivalent cash or security deposit at these minimums in order to demonstrate financial responsibility, but the vast majority of people choose to purchase a liability insurance policy.

    Liability coverage pays the medical bills, property damage bills, and other costs of drivers, passengers, and pedestrians who are injured or have their vehicle damaged in a car accident you cause, up to coverage limits. You can (and in some situations should) carry more coverage to protect you in case a serious crash results in significant car accident injuries and vehicle damage. Once policy limits are exhausted, you are personally on the financial hook, so higher insurance limits can help protect your personal assets in the event of a serious crash.

    Your liability coverage will kick in if any family member is driving your vehicle, or if you've given someone else permission to use it. It will likely also cover you if you get into an accident in a rental car.

    Remember that liability coverage doesn't apply to your own injuries or vehicle damage after a Mississippi car accident. You'll need different (additional) coverage for that if you're involved in a car accident and no one else's coverage applies to your losses. For example, collision coverage (optional in Mississippi) can pay for repairs to (or replacement of) your damaged vehicle after a car accident. Note that collision or comprehensive might be required under the terms of a vehicle lease or financing agreement.

    Driving Without Insurance in Mississippi

    According to Mississippi Code section 63-15-4, driving without proof of insurance could lead to conviction of a misdemeanor, imposition of a $500 fine, and suspension of driving privileges for up to one year (or until the offender can demonstrate that he or she is properly insured).

    Keep in mind that these penalties will come on top of serious financial consequences if you cause a car accident and you don't have insurance.

    Make the most of your claim

    Get the compensation you deserve

    We've helped 225 clients find attorneys today.

    How It Works

    1. Briefly tell us about your case
    2. Provide your contact information
    3. Choose attorneys to contact you