What Disclosures do Landlords in Michigan Need to Give Tenants?

Learn about the disclosures that landlords in Michigan must provide tenants, usually in the lease or rental agreement.

Michigan requires landlords to make the following disclosures to tenants, usually in writing and at the start of the tenancy:

Move-in checklist required?

Yes, a move-in checklist is required. However, the requirement does not need to be stated in the lease. (Mich. Comp. Laws § 554.608)

May landlord charge nonrefundable fees?

Yes, nonrefundable fees may be charged. (Stutelberg v. Practical Management Co., 245 N.W.2d 737 (1976))

Owner or agent identity:

A rental agreement must include the name and address at which notice can be given to the landlord. (Mich. Comp. Laws § 554.634)

Truth in Renting Act:

A rental agreement must also state in a prominent place in type not smaller than the size of 12-point type, or in legible print with letters not smaller than 1/8 inch, a notice in substantially the following form: “NOTICE: Michigan law establishes rights and obligations for parties to rental agreements. This agreement is required to comply with the Truth in Renting Act. If you have a question about the interpretation or legality of a provision of this agreement, you may want to seek assistance from a lawyer or other qualified person.” (Mich. Comp. Laws § 554.634)

Rights of domestic violence victims:

A rental agreement or lease may contain a provision stating, “A tenant who has a reasonable apprehension of present danger to him or her or his or her child from domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking may have special statutory rights to seek a release of rental obligation under MCL 554.601b.” If the rental agreement or lease does not contain such a provision, the landlord must post an identical written notice visible to a reasonable person in the landlord’s property management office, or deliver written notice to the tenant when the lease or rental agreement is signed. (Mich. Comp. Laws § 554.601b)

See the Laws and Legal Research section of Nolo for advice on finding and reading statutes and court decisions.

Also, check your local ordinance for any city or county disclosure requirements. To find yours, check your city or county website (many are listed on State and Local Government on the Net), or contact the office of your mayor, city manager, or county administrator.

Finally, see the Required Landlord Disclosures article for details on federally-required landlord disclosures and other information on disclosures about the rental property.

Talk to a Lawyer

Need a lawyer? Start here.

How it Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you

Talk to a Landlord-Tenant attorney.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you