Massachusetts OUI/DUI Laws and Penalties

What constitutes an OUI (operating under the influence) in Massachusetts and the consequences of a conviction.

In Massachusetts, a motorist can be convicted of an OUI (often called a "DUI") for operating a motor vehicle in any public place while "under the influence" or with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of .08% or more.

How Massachusetts Law Defines "Under the Influence"

A driver is considered "under the influence" if his or her ability to operate a vehicle has been diminished by the consumption of an intoxicating substance (such as marijuana, narcotics, intoxicating vapors, or other drugs) or alcohol.

When a driver has a BAC that's over the legal limit, the prosecution doesn't need to prove actual impairment.

Penalties for Massachusetts OUI/DUI Convictions

Massachusetts's OUI laws set the parameters for the jail, fines, and license revocation that a judge can impose for an OUI conviction. Generally, these parameters depend on the number of prior OUI convictions on the driver's record.

1st Offense

2nd Offense

3rd Offense


Up to 2 ½ years

60 days to 2 ½ years (minimum 30 days actually served in jail)

180 days to 2 ½ years jail or 2 ½ to 5 years prison (minimum 150 days actually served in jail)


$500 to $5,000

$600 to $10,000

$1,000 to $15,000

License Revocation

1 year

2 years

8 years

DUI/OUI Probation in Massachusetts

For a first or second-offense OUI, the driver is generally eligible for probation. Probation is normally for a term of one year and the driver must complete an alcohol education course (and possibly treatment) and up to 30 days of community service. The driver's license will also be suspended for 45 to 90 days (210 days if the driver is under 21 years old).

However, if the prior OUI offense occurred within the last ten years, probation will be for a two-year period and require at least 14 days of inpatient treatment, followed by outpatient treatment. The driver's license will be revoked for two years, but the driver will generally be eligible for a hardship license (which gives limited driving privileges) after completing in-patient.

Enhanced OUI/DUI Penalties for Child Passengers

The driver can also be convicted of child endangerment if the driver had a passenger under 14 years old while operating under the influence. This separate offense carries $1,000 to $5,000 in fines, 90 days to two and a half years in jail, and a one-year license suspension.

Implied Consent and Refusing a Blood or Breath Test in Massachusetts

Massachusetts law requires all drivers lawfully arrested for an OUI to consent to a chemical test of their breath or blood to determine the presence and amount of alcohol or drugs. This "implied consent" law imposes a license suspension on drivers who refuse testing:

  • 180-day suspension if no prior OUI convictions
  • three-year suspension if one prior OUI conviction
  • five-year suspension if two prior OUI convictions
  • lifetime suspension if three or more prior OUI convictions
  • ten-year suspension if prior OUI involved serious bodily injury, and
  • lifetime suspension if prior OUI involved a fatality.

A license suspension related to a test refusal will run back-to-back with any other OUI-related suspension and cannot be circumvented by a hardship license.

Talk to a DUI Defense attorney
We've helped 115 clients find attorneys today.
There was a problem with the submission. Please refresh the page and try again
Full Name is required
Email is required
Please enter a valid Email
Phone Number is required
Please enter a valid Phone Number
Zip Code is required
Please add a valid Zip Code
Please enter a valid Case Description
Description is required

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you