Kentucky's Living Will and Health Care Surrogate Designation: What You Need to Know

Making a Kentucky advance directive (living will and health care surrogate designation) is an important estate planning step.

Why do you need a living will and power of attorney for health care (called a "living will directive and health care surrogate designation" in Kentucky)?

If you become unable to direct your own medical care because of illness, an accident, or advanced age, the right legal documents are your lifeline. When you don't write down your wishes about the kinds of medical treatment you want and name someone you trust to oversee your care, these important matters can be placed in the hands of estranged family members, doctors, or sometimes even judges, who may know very little about what you would prefer.

What are health care forms called in Kentucky?

There are two basic kinds of health care documents that everyone should make. First, you'll need a document naming a trusted person to direct your health care if you are unable to do so yourself. This document is commonly called a durable power of attorney for health care.

Second, you should make a document setting out the types of medical treatment you would or would not like to receive in certain situations. This document is often known as a living will.

In Kentucky, these two documents are combined into a single form called a a living will directive and health care surrogate designation.

Who makes health care decisions for me in Kentucky?

In Kentucky, the person you name to make decisions for you is called your surrogate. Most people name a spouse, partner, relative, or close friend as their surrogate. Under Kentucky law, your surrogate may not be an employee, owner, director or officer of a health care facility where you are a resident or patient, unless that person is related to you more closely than first cousins once removed or is a member of the same religious order.

What else do I need to know about choosing a surrogate in Kentucky?

When choosing your surrogate, the most crucial criteria are trustworthiness and dependability. You might also want to choose someone you think will be good at asserting your health care wishes if others argue against them -- that is, someone who is persistent or calm under pressure.

While you need not name someone who lives in Kentucky, the person you name should at least be willing and able to travel to your bedside if necessary.

Your surrogate will begin to make health care decisions for you when you lack the capacity to do so. For more information, see Nolo's article Living Wills and Powers of Attorney for Health Care: How They Work.

Do I need a lawyer to make health care documents in Kentucky?

You usually don't need a lawyer to prepare documents directing your health care. In fact, state governments have designed these forms for people to complete on their own by filling in the blanks. You can find the health care forms you need for Kentucky in Nolo's Quicken WillMaker Plus software. The software includes detailed instructions for completing your documents and meets all Kentucky legal requirements.

Talk to a Lawyer

Need a lawyer? Start here.

How it Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you

Ready to create your power of attorney?


Talk to an Estate Planning attorney.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you