Probate Shortcuts in Indiana

Save time and money when you wrap up a simple estate in Indiana.

Updated by , Attorney · George Mason University Law School

Indiana offers some probate shortcuts for "small estates." If your loved one died and left property behind, you might be able to transfer that property using simplified probate procedures or without any probate court proceedings at all. If so, you'll be able to save some of the time, money, and hassle associated with regular probate.

A "small estate" might be one with a small value (defined by state law), or one that is particularly uncomplicated. Below, learn the rules for qualifying for one of Indiana's probate shortcuts, and find out whether you can ultimately skip or speed up probate.

Claiming Property With a Small Estate Affidavit in Indiana

Indiana has a procedure (called "dispensing with administration") that allows inheritors to skip probate altogether when the value of all the assets left behind is less than a certain amount. As an inheritor, all you would have to do is prepare a short document, stating that you're entitled to a certain asset. This document, signed under oath, is often known as a small estate affidavit. When the person or institution holding the property—for example, a bank where the deceased person had an account—gets the affidavit and a copy of the death certificate, it releases the asset. You won't have to go through probate court.

Small Estate Affidavit for Estates Less Than $100,000

In Indiana, an affidavit procedure is available if the value of the gross probate estate (the sum of the all of the property subject to probate) doesn't exceed $100,000 ($50,000 for deaths on or before June 30, 2022). This affidavit procedure also isn't available for real estate of any value, though there are other limitations (see below). (Ind. Code § 29-1-8-1 (2024).).

Property that passes outside of probate isn't counted, so even relatively large estates might qualify for the small estate affidavit if the deceased person made plans to avoid probate.

After 45 days from the death, the inheritor can submit Indiana's Small Estate Affidavit (Form 54985) to a person or institution holding the deceased person's property. The affidavit must state that:

  • at least 45 days have passed since the death
  • no application for appointment of a personal representative is pending or has been granted
  • the value of the gross probate estate—less liens, encumbrances, and funeral expenses—doesn't exceed $100,000
  • the names and addresses of the beneficiaries and which property each beneficiary is entitled to
  • each beneficiary has been notified about the affidavit, and
  • the inheritor is entitled to the property.

(Ind. Code § 29-1-8-1 (2024).)

This process can be used for actions such as:

  • changing the title of a vehicle to the inheritor's name
  • changing the registered owner's name for a security (like a stock or bond), or
  • getting a death benefit from an insurance company and to get property stored in a safe deposit box.

(Ind. Code § 29-1-8-1 (2024).)

Transferring Real Estate With an Affidavit

For real estate, you might also find that you can transfer title simply by recording an affidavit (known as a "passage of title affidavit," or sometimes as a "devolution affidavit") with the recorder's office of the Indiana county where the real estate is located. (Ind. Code § 29-1-7-23 (2024).)

There's no value limit on the passage of title by affidavit procedure, but there are other restrictions:

  • At least 7 months must have passed since the death.
  • The affidavit must be signed and recorded with the county recorder's office before a personal representative is appointed in the probate case.
  • The court must not have issued an order preventing the use of an affidavit.

(Ind. Code §§ 29-1-7-15.1, 29-1-7-23 (2024).)

Practically speaking, this procedure isn't usually available for estates containing a significant amount of property, since a personal representative will usually be appointed within five months of the death.

Simplified Probate in Indiana: Administration Without Court Supervision

If you don't qualify for the affidavit procedures described above, you'll likely need to go through probate. However, Indiana does offer a simplified version of probate, known as administration without court supervision (or unsupervised administration), which is available to many estates. It requires very minimal court supervision, and if you use this simplified procedure, you can skip some steps of regular probate.

The following requirements must be met to qualify for unsupervised administration:

  • If there's a will, it must not have required supervised probate.
  • The estate must be solvent (meaning it can't owe more money than it has).
  • All beneficiaries (if there is a will) or heirs (if there is no will) must consent in writing to the unsupervised administration or the will must specifically authorize unsupervised administration.

(Ind. Code § 29-1-7.5-2 (2024).)

Administration without court supervision is the most common type of probate procedure in Indiana. If the estate doesn't qualify for this simplified procedure or is particularly complicated, a fully supervised probate procedure will be required, and this process will be more cumbersome, lengthy, and expensive.

Getting More Help With Indiana Probate

For more information on probate in Indiana, also see the following Nolo articles:

Nolo also offers several resources and tools to help with Indiana probate. If you're an executor or personal representative of an estate and tasked with wrapping up a loved one's property, you can consult a probate attorney or the comprehensive book The Executor's Guide, by Mary Randolph (Nolo), for further help.

On the other hand, if you're interested in actively planning now to minimize probate costs for your loved ones after your death, consider these next steps:

Get Professional Help
Talk to a Probate attorney.
There was a problem with the submission. Please refresh the page and try again
Full Name is required
Email is required
Please enter a valid Email
Phone Number is required
Please enter a valid Phone Number
Zip Code is required
Please add a valid Zip Code
Please enter a valid Case Description
Description is required

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you