How to Form a Corporation in Arkansas

To establish a corporation in Arkansas, here's everything you need to know.

To form a corporation in Arkansas, you need to take the steps set forth below. To find out what’s required to form a corporation in any other state, see Nolo’s 50-State Guide to Forming a Corporation.

1. Choose a Corporate Name

Your corporation's name must not be (1) the same as, or too similar to, an existing name on the Arkansas Secretary of State's records, or (2) misleading to the public. The corporation's name must contain the word "Corporation," "Incorporated," or "Company," or an abbreviation of one of these words, but not as the final word of the actual company name. Any final word(s) or abbreviation(s) must be immediately preceded by “and” or any symbol for “and.” For example, the corporate name could be “XYZ Company.” But “ABC & Company” must be formally named “ABC & Company, Inc.”

Names may be checked for availability by searching the Arkansas Secretary of State business name database.

An available name may be reserved for 120 days by filing an Application for Reservation of Corporate Name with the Arkansas Secretary of State. The form may be completed and filed online or by postal mail. The filing fee is $25 for postal filing, $22.50 for online filing.

2. Prepare and File Articles of Incorporation

Your corporation is legally created by filing Articles of Incorporation with the Arkansas Secretary of State. The articles must include the corporate name; its purpose; the name and address of agent for service of process; the name and address of each incorporator; and the number of shares the corporation is authorized to issue. The articles may be filed online or by postal mail. The online filing fee is $45; the postal filing fee is $50.

3. Appoint a Registered Agent

Every Arkansas corporation must have an agent for service of process in the state. This is an individual or corporation that agrees to accept legal papers on the corporation's behalf if it is sued. A corporation may not service as its own agent for service of process. The agent should agree to accept service of process on your corporation's behalf prior to designation.

The registered agent may be an individual who is a full-time resident of Arkansas, or a business entity registered with the Arkansas Secretary of State. The agent must have a physical street address in Arkansas, not a post office box. Small corporations typically name a director or officer to serve as the initial agent. A different agent can always be named later.

4. Set Up a Corporate Records Book

Set up a corporate records book in which you keep all of your corporation's important papers, including minutes of director and shareholder meetings, stock certificates, and stock certificate stubs. Keep your corporate records book at the principal office of your corporation. You can use a three-ring binder as the corporate records book or you can order a special corporate records kit through a corporate kit supplier.

5. Prepare Corporate Bylaws

Bylaws are an internal corporate document that set out the basic ground rules for operating your corporation. They are not filed with the state. Your corporation is not legally required to have corporate bylaws, but you should adopt them because they (1) establish your corporation's operating rules, and (2) help show banks, creditors, the IRS, and others that your corporation is legitimate. For corporate bylaw forms, see Nolo’s website or Incorporate Your Business, by Anthony Mancuso (Nolo). Corporate kits also typically contain sample bylaws.

6. Appoint Initial Corporate Directors

The incorporator—the person who signed the articles—must appoint the initial corporate directors who will serve on the board until the first annual meeting of shareholders (when the board members who will serve for the next term are elected by the shareholders). The incorporator must fill in an “Incorporator’s Statement” showing the names and addresses of the initial directors. The incorporator must sign the statement and place a copy in the corporate records book. The statement need not be filed with the state. For a sample Incorporators Statement, see Incorporate Your Business, by Anthony Mancuso (Nolo).

7. Hold Your First Board of Directors Meeting

The first meeting of the corporation's board of directors should be held at which the directors can appoint corporate officers, adopt bylaws, select a corporate bank, authorize issuance of shares of stock, set the corporation's fiscal year, and adopt an official stock certificate form and corporate seal. The directors' actions must be recorded in corporate minutes prepared by the incorporator or any of the directors. Additionally, if the corporation will be an S corporation, the directors should approve the election of S corporation status. It is usually necessary to prepare the minutes over one or two weeks, and then send them to all the directors for their signature. For corporate meeting minute forms, see Nolo’s website or refer to Incorporate Your Business, by Anthony Mancuso (Nolo).

8. Issue Stock

Issue stock to each shareholder. Although not legally required in most states, small corporations usually issue paper stock certificates. Enter each shareholder's name and contact information in the corporation’s stock transfer ledger.

A share of stock in your corporation is classified as a security under state and federal securities laws that regulate the offer and sale of corporate stock. However, the federal government and all states exempt most small corporations from these laws. For example, federal law exempts "private offerings:" a non-advertised sale to a limited number of people (generally 35 or fewer). Most states have enacted their own versions of this SEC exemption.

Visit your state securities office website for information about your state's securities laws. Links to all such offices can be found at the Contact Your Regulator web page of the North American Securities Administrators Association.

9. Comply with Arkansas Tax Requirements

All Arkansas corporations and foreign corporations doing business in Arkansas must pay the Arkansas Franchise Tax to the Arkansas Secretary of State. A minimum $150 tax must be paid each year. Annual franchise tax reports must also be filed with the Arkansas Secretary of State. The annual taxes and report may be filed online. For details, and forms, see the Arkansas Secretary of State website.

10. Comply With Other Tax and Regulatory Requirements

Additional tax and regulatory requirements apply to your corporation. These include:

EIN: Your corporation must obtain a federal employer identification number (EIN). You may obtain an EIN by completing an online application on the IRS website. There is no filing fee.

S Corporation Filing: If the corporation wants to elect S corporation status for tax purposes, it must submit Form 2553 Election by a Small Business Corporation (signed by all the shareholders). The election should be filed within two months and 15 days after the beginning of the corporation's first tax year. See the IRS S Corporation Fact Sheet for details.

Business Licenses: Depending on its type of business and where it is located, your corporation may need to obtain other local and state business licenses.

11. Foreign Corporations Doing Business in Arkansas

All corporations organized outside of Arkansas must register with the Arkansas Secretary of State to do business in Arkansas. Foreign corporations must appoint a registered agent for service of process physically located in Arkansas. To register, file an Application for Certificate of Authority. The application may be completed and filed online or by postal mail. A certificate of existence or similar document from the corporation’s home state must also be filed with the Secretary of State. The application must be accompanied by a certificate of existence (or similar document) duly authorized by the Secretary of State of the foreign corporation's home state. The filing fee is $270 if filed online; $300 if a paper application is filed by mail.

Before filing, make sure the corporation’s name is available in Arkansas by checking the Arkansas Secretary of State’s business name database. If the name is not available, the foreign corporation may use a fictitious name to transact business in Arkansas. To do so, it must deliver to the Arkansas Secretary of State for filing a copy of the resolution of its directors certified by its secretary adopting a designated name.

Last updated May 2012

Talk to a Lawyer

Need help? Start here.

How it Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you
Swipe to view more

Talk to a Business Law attorney.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you