How to Dissolve a Nonprofit Corporation in Alaska

Find out how to go about dissolving a nonprofit corporation in your state.

Need to close down your Alaska nonprofit corporation? Here's an overview of the main steps you'll need to take. This article only covers the most basic kind of voluntary dissolution of a typical Alaska 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation that's already doing business. There are different rules and procedures for other types of nonprofits, and for other situations such as an involuntary dissolution.

Authorizing Dissolution

Closing starts with dissolution, and to dissolve your nonprofit, you will need a resolution to dissolve. In addition, you'll likely also need a plan of distribution that indicates how the nonprofit's remaining assets will be distributed after all creditors have been paid. With a resolution and plan in hand, Alaska law provides for voluntary dissolution as follows:

  • if your nonprofit has members, by action of the directors followed by a vote or other consent of the members; or
  • if your nonprofit doesn't have members, by a vote of the directors.

Under the first method, the board first must adopt the resolution to dissolve and then submit it to the members. The members then generally meet and vote to approve the resolution. Alternatively, members can provide unanimous written approval for the resolution. The procedure for approving a separate plan of distribution is essentially the same.

Under the second method, it is up to the board alone to approve the resolution to dissolve. Typically, the resolution must be approved by a majority of the directors. The procedure for approving a plan of distribution is the same.

Make sure to properly record the resolution to dissolve, the plan of distribution, the directors' votes, and, where necessary, the members' votes or written consents. You'll need this information for filings with the state and the IRS.

Filing the Resolution to Dissolve

After your nonprofit has approved dissolution, you must "immediately" file a copy of the resolution to dissolve with the Corporations Section of the Division of Corporations, Business and Professional Licensing (DCBPL). The resolution must state the number of members and the number of directors voting for and against it. You can download a form for the resolution to dissolve (Form 08-444) from the DCBPL website. (The form is sometimes also referred to as a certificate of election to dissolve.) Depending on the circumstances, you may end up filing the resolution to dissolve at the same time as the articles of dissolution (see below). You should be up to date with your biennial reports and the names of directors and officers on record with the state prior to filing. There is a $10 filing fee.

Winding Up

After your nonprofit has formally authorized dissolution, it continues to exist only for the purpose of taking care of certain final matters that, collectively, are known as "winding up" the company. Winding up is largely about paying off any debts and then distributing any remaining assets, but there may also be other tasks involved.

Generally speaking, you can only distribute money and property after you have paid off all of your nonprofit's debts. Then, for asset distributions, there are specific rules you need to follow. For example, your nonprofit must return any items that were loaned to it on the condition that they would be returned upon dissolution. In addition, after paying off debts and returning loaned assets, a dissolving 501(c)(3) organization must distribute its remaining assets for tax-exempt purposes. In practice, this usually means distributing assets to one or more other 501(c)(3) organizations. Other requirements for distributions, including requirements contained in your plan of distribution, may also apply. If you have any questions, you should consult with a lawyer.

Articles of Dissolution

After you have paid and discharged all debts and properly transferred any remaining property—in other words, after you've finished winding up your nonprofit—you'll need to file articles of dissolution with the DCBPL. The articles of dissolution must contain:

  • the name of your nonprofit
  • if there are members entitled to vote on dissolution, (a) a statement giving the date of the member meeting at which the resolution to dissolve was adopted, that a quorum was present at the meeting, and that the resolution received the necessary votes, or (b) a statement that the resolution was adopted by the written consent of all members entitled to vote on dissolution
  • if there are no members entitled to vote on dissolution, a statement of that fact, the date of the meeting of the board of directors at which the resolution to dissolve was adopted, and a statement that the resolution received the vote of a majority of the directors in office
  • a statement that all of the nonprofit's debts, obligations, and liabilities have been paid and discharged or that adequate provision has been made for their payment and discharge
  • a copy of the plan of distribution, if any, as adopted by the nonprofit, or a statement that no plan was adopted
  • a statement that all of the nonprofit's remaining property and assets have been transferred in accordance with the Alaska Nonprofit Corporation Act; and
  • a statement that there are no suits pending against the nonprofit in any court, or that adequate provision has been made for the satisfaction of any judgment, order, or decree which may be entered against it in any pending suit.

A blank form for the articles of dissolution (Form 08-445), including instructions, is available for download from the SOS website. You must submit the original signed articles along with one exact copy. If you have a plan of distribution, you must attach it to each copy of your articles. There is a $15 filing fee.

Federal Tax Note

For federal tax purposes, you'll need to file IRS Form 990 or IRS Form 990-EZ. You must include a completed Schedule N (Liquidation, Termination, Dissolution, or Significant Disposition of Assets), as well as copies of your articles of dissolution, resolution to dissolve, and plan of distribution. When completing Form 990 or Form 990-EZ, you'll need to check the "Terminated" box in the header area on Page 1 of the return. For additional guidance, check out Every Nonprofit's Tax Guide, by Stephen Fishman (Nolo), go to the IRS website, or consult with a tax professional.

Additional Information

You can find additional information, such as forms, mailing addresses, phone numbers, and filing fees, on the DCBPL website.

Be aware that dissolving your nonprofit will not stop lawsuits for claims or liability incurred prior to dissolution. Generally, these claims may be brought up to two years after dissolution.

This article covers only the most basic steps of voluntary dissolution after your nonprofit has started doing business. There are many additional, more specific rules, covering things like:

  • involuntary dissolution
  • dissolution of non-typical nonprofits
  • what specific items should be contained in a plan of distribution
  • giving proper advance notice of member and director meetings
  • the required number of member votes to approve dissolution
  • specific steps to approve dissolution in writing without a meeting
  • giving notice of dissolution to creditors and other claimants; and
  • how to respond to legal claims after dissolution.

In addition, your articles of incorporation or bylaws may contain rules that apply instead of, or along with, state law. You are strongly encouraged to consult with a lawyer to obtain additional information on these and other points.

Final Note: Dissolving and winding up your nonprofit corporation is only one piece of the process of closing your organization. For further, general guidance on many of the other steps involved, check Nolo's 20-point checklist for closing a business and the Nolo article on what you need to know about closing a business.

Talk to a Lawyer

Need help? Start here.

How it Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you
Get Professional Help

Talk to a Business Law attorney.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you