Home Buyers: What to Bring to Your Closing

A last-minute check on whether you've got everything you need for closing day.

It’s closing day. Your moving van is packed and ready to go. But you may learn that you will not receive the keys to your new home, because the closing cannot be completed on that day. While not everything required for the closing is up to you, as the buyer, to bring, you can help avoid the frustration of a delayed closing by bringing certain documents and other items along.

To help remember what to bring during this very busy day, you might want to create a checklist. Your list will vary depending on:

  • the type of property: for example, a free standing home, condominium or co-op
  • the terms of your purchase contract
  • the terms of your loan, if you are taking out a loan, and
  • state and local real estate closing rules and customs.

This article lists many of the common last-minute closing requirements. In some places, your real estate sales agent, attorney, or the escrow company (sometimes called the “escrowee”) performing the closing will furnish some or all of the suggested items, so you should ask before commencing work to attain these items.

For more general information about your home purchase closing, see Nolo’s article "Home Buyers: What Happens at the Closing."

Closing Items for All Purchases—Cash Deals or Loan Transactions

Whether or not you have a lender, you may need to provide documents to the escrowee. These usually serve to comply with the terms of the escrow or help the title insurer clear the property title of liens or other defects that could affect your ownership.

Some of the more common title clearance items collected from buyers by the escrowee for the title insurer include:

  • Photo identification. Your signature will be notarized on various loan and title documents, so bring your state-issued photo identification, such as a driver’s license, to the closing — even if your purchase is to be made solely with your own cash.
  • Funds. Your attorney or the escrowee will calculate the amount of money you need to bring to the closing. You may want to include a small overage as a cushion to cover any unanticipated closing cost. Recent changes to “good funds” rules require you to transmit all but minimum amounts to the escrowee by wire transfer. Do not expect to bring a check, even a certified check, to the closing without confirming that the escrowee will accept it. Also, request the wire from your bank a day or two prior to the closing if you can, and give your bank the date the funds must be received — usually the closing date. Some attorneys and escrowees ask that the buyer have the funds delivered the day before the closing to avoid delays, particularly if the closing is scheduled early in the morning, or the day before a weekend or bank holiday.
  • Separation agreement or divorce order. If you are separated or in the midst of a divorce, a separation agreement or an order from the divorce court could affect your purchase in some states. Ask your attorney, or the escrowee if you have no attorney, whether you should bring your separation agreement or any court orders relating to your separation or divorce to the closing.
  • Revocable living trust. If you have a revocable living trust, and wish to designate your trustee as the owner of the property, you should bring a copy of the trust document to the closing. The title insurer will want to examine the trust document to confirm that the trust can hold property and take out loans if a lender is involved. The escrowee will want to confirm that the proper parties are signing the buyer’s documents.
  • Documentary or transfer stamps. Some states, counties, and municipalities have a transfer tax that is satisfied through the purchase of stamps to be attached to the deed, which is the document that transfers the property from the seller to the buyer. These may be called transfer stamps or documentary stamps. Often, at least one or more of these stamps are the buyer’s responsibility to purchase prior to the closing. Ask your attorney, the escrowee, or the state, county, and municipal officials where the property is located whether you must purchase these stamps prior to the closing, and if there are any conditions that must be met prior to your purchase. For example: you may need the seller’s signature on transfer declarations, or the seller may need to allow an inspection of the property, or all of the seller’s debts to the state or county or all municipal debts (i.e. traffic violations or other tickets and water or sewer charges) may need to be fully paid before you can purchase the stamps.

For a detailed description of the closing documents you can expect to see at the closing, see Nolo’s article: "Home Buyers: What Documents to Expect at Your Close of Escrow."

Closing Items for Purchases With Loans

If you are taking out a loan to help finance your home purchase, the lender will provide you with a loan commitment. It describes the terms of your loan and will likely include a list of items needed to close the loan. Read the loan commitment carefully, looking for what you are required to do at, or bring to, the closing.

However, the loan commitment often omits some of the standard or customary documents, or lists them in the boilerplate. So, if you are taking out a loan, you may also need to bring the following to the escrowee for delivery to the lender:

  • Insurance
    • Homeowners insurance certificate. All lenders will require you to furnish the certificate for your homeowners insurance in the greater of the amount necessary to cover the replacement cost of the home or the amount of the loan, and showing the lender as an additional loss payee. Lenders are particular about how they are named in the homeowners insurance policy, so ask your lender to give you the exact language, and furnish it to your insurer.
    • Wind insurance. Your lender might require a wind rider to your homeowners insurance if the home is located where there is tornado or hurricane activity.
    • Flood insurance. The lender will require flood insurance for homes within a national flood hazard area. You may want to look into buying flood insurance even if not required by the lender, as described in “Hurricanes and Flood Insurance: What Homeowners Should Know.”
    • Earthquake insurance. The lender may require earthquake insurance in certain locations where earthquakes are possible, and where the state does not mandate the coverage be part of a regular homeowners insurance policy or provide the insurance from a state pooled fund. If you must buy private earthquake insurance, review the policy carefully, and make sure you have chosen a plan with a deductible that fits your personal financial plan.

For all of the insurance policies described above, you should also consider the following:

  • Start date. All insurance should commence on the closing date.
  • Insurance for condominiums and co-ops. If you are purchasing a condominium or co-op unit, the building management, either the association or a separate management company, will provide you with a certificate of insurance covering the jointly owned portions of the property. The certificate must name the lender as loss payee as described above, so you should provide the exact language provided by the lender for naming it as loss payee to the condominium or co-op manager. This applies to all types of insurance required by your lender.
  • Paid receipts. In addition to the insurance certificates for all insurance required by your lender, you should bring evidence that you paid the first terms premium for each policy you are required to.
  • Pest inspection. Some loans require a wood-destroying pest inspection. The rules for Veteran’s Administration (“VA”) and Federal Housing Administration (“FHA”) loans are now less restrictive than in the past, so you should ask your FHA or VA lender whether a termite inspection will be required for the particular home you are purchasing.
  • Septic letter and/or well letter. If the home you are purchasing does not connect to municipal water and/or sewers, you may need a septic letter from the local health department. If you are buying with a VA or FHA loan, the letter may need to contain some specific language that will be available from the lender.
  • Judgment or lien release. If you have a judgment against you from a prior lawsuit, or debt, you may have to bring a written, signed, and notarized release to the closing. Your attorney or escrowee can help you obtain this item.
  • Construction lien waivers. If you have contracted for improvements on the property, you may have to bring a contractor's sworn statement and lien waivers to the closing. In some states, contractors get an automatic lien on the property as of the date of the contract for the work.
  • Documentary stamps. Some states require the buyer to purchase stamps similar to documentary or transfer stamps (described above) for the mortgage.

If you aren’t sure whether you have all these items, or need them, double check with your agent, attorney, or title or escrow company.

Talk to a Lawyer

Need a lawyer? Start here.

How it Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you
Get Professional Help

Talk to a Real Estate attorney.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you