Dividing Property and Debt During Divorce

Find out how property and debts are divided in divorce.

How Will Courts Divide Property and Debt During Divorce?

It's very common for divorcing couples to reach an agreement outside of court about how to divide their property and debts. When a couple is unable to settle their dispute, though, a judge will apply the state's property division laws to craft a property division order.

Depending on state law, the court will likely use one of two approaches to divide marital property and debt: community property or equitable (common law) distribution.

  • Community property. Arizona, California, Idaho, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Washington, and Wisconsin are all community property states. Under community property laws, a judge must classify all marital property as either community property (owned by both spouses) or separate property. The judge will divide community property equally between the spouses, and each spouse will keep any separate property. (A few states, including Alaska and Tennessee, offer a hybrid form of community property division under which married couples can agree to treat the marital property as community property by signing an agreement to do so in the divorce.)
  • Equitable distribution ("common law"). In all non-community property states, judges must divide all assets and earnings accumulated during marriage equitably (fairly)—but not necessarily equally. For example, judges might order one spouse to give separate property to the other in order to make the settlement fair to both spouses.

Division of property does not necessarily mean a physical division. Instead, the court may award each spouse a percentage of the total value of the property. Each spouse will get personal property, assets, and debts whose worth adds up to a fair percentage. (It is illegal to hide assets in order to shield them from property division.)

Nolo's book Divorce & Money can help you learn more about dividing money during a divorce.

What Is the Difference Between Community Property and Separate Property?

If you live in a community property state (Arizona, California, Idaho, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Washington, or Wisconsin) or have opted to treat some or all of your property as community property (possible in only a few states), the general rule is that spouses equally own all property either one acquires during the marriage.

However, there are exceptions to the general rule—some property is classified as separate property or commingled property. The following general descriptions can help you determine what's community property and what isn't:

  • Community property includes:
    • all income earned by either spouse during the marriage
    • all items purchased with money either spouse earns during the marriage
    • separate property that has been mixed with community property to the point that it can't be split out, and
    • all debts incurred during the marriage, even when only one spouse signed the paperwork for the debt.
  • Separate property belongs to only one spouse. It includes:
    • money held by one spouse before marriage
    • property owned by one spouse before marriage
    • gifts made to only one spouse during the marriage
    • inheritances received by one spouse during the marriage
    • personal injury awards received by one spouse during the marriage
    • pension proceeds that vested (that the spouse became legally entitled to receive) before marriage
    • property purchased with separate funds
    • any business owned by one spouse before the marriage (a court may find that a portion of the business is community property if it increased in value during the marriage or both spouses worked in the business), and
    • commingled separate property (separate property that is mixed with community property during the marriage).

Commingled separate property is made up of both separate and community property. When a spouse mixes separate property with community property during the marriage, the separate property can become partially or wholly community property. For example, when one spouse puts separate property money into a checking account used by both spouses, the separate property funds likely become community property. On the other hand, a court might consider property purchased with a combination of separate and community funds as part community and part separate property, so long as a spouse can demonstrate that separate property funds were used to make the purchase.

Who Gets to Stay in the House During a Divorce?

Which spouse remains in the family home depends on the circumstances. Although judges will look to see who holds the title to the house, the name on the title is not necessarily the final determinant of who will stay in the family house.

  • If you don't have children and the house is one spouse's name: If you are in a community property state and the house is the separate property of one spouse, the owner spouse will generally be able to keep the house and has the legal right to ask the other to leave. In all states, though, if the spouse whose name isn't on the deed can show that shared funds were used to pay for the house or makes another compelling argument why the house is shared, the judge will make a determination based on what's fair or equitable.
  • If the house was acquired during marriage: In most cases neither spouse has a greater claim to the house than the other. One spouse can request that the other leave, but neither can force the other to leave. While the divorce is pending, either spouse can ask the court to issue a temporary order on who can remain in the house. Ultimately, if the spouses can't agree on who gets to stay in the house, the court will decide how to divide it.
  • If you have minor children: Often, a judge's consideration of what's in the best interests of the children weighs in favor of allowing the children's primary caregiver to remain in the marital home during and after the divorce.

Often, when allowing one spouse to remain in the family home is unfair to the other spouse or results in an uneven distribution of property, judges will award the home to one spouse on the condition that the spouse pay the other to make up for the imbalance (a "buy-out").

For detailed and practical advice about making financial decisions during divorce, see Divorce & Money: How to Make the Best Financial Decisions During Divorce, by Violet Woodhouse and Lina Guillen (Nolo).

Can We Divide Property on Our Own?

Couples can maintain control over how marital property and debts are divided by negotiating a settlement agreement. Some couples might be able to work together on their own to divide property. For couples who need help to reach a settlement, though, divorce mediation is a great option. Courts often require divorcing spouses to participate in (free or low-cost) mediation. Alternatively, spouses can hire a private mediator to assist them.

In mediation, the spouses work with a neutral third party called a mediator to discuss any unresolved divorce issues. Mediation can occur in person or online. During the mediation, the mediator will guide the couple through the topics that need to be addressed and possibly suggest solutions that comply with state law. The mediator does not provide legal advice or make any decisions. If the spouses reach an agreement on how to divide their property and debt, the mediator will create a property settlement agreement for them to sign and submit to the judge.

If mediation fails and the couple can't agree on how to divide property and debts, either spouse can request help from the judge. Because mediation is confidential, neither spouse can use any of the statements or discussions that occurred in the unsuccessful mediation against the other.

Talk to a Lawyer

Need a lawyer? Start here.

How it Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you
Considering Divorce?

Talk to a Divorce attorney.

We've helped 85 clients find attorneys today.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you