D.C. Living Wills and Powers of Attorney for Health Care: What You Need to Know

Make a power of attorney for health care and living will in the District of Columbia.

Why do you need a living will and durable power of attorney for health care in D.C.?

If you become unable to direct your own medical care because of illness, an accident, or advanced age, the right legal documents are your lifeline. In D.C. (District of Columbia), when you don't write down your wishes about the kinds of medical treatment you want and name someone you trust to oversee your care, these important matters can be placed in the hands of estranged family members, doctors, or sometimes even judges, who may know very little about what you would prefer.

What are health care forms called in D.C.?

There are two basic kinds of health care documents that everyone should make. First, you'll need a document naming a trusted person to direct your health care if you are unable to do so yourself. This document is commonly called a power of attorney. In D.C., the official name for this form is a durable power of attorney for health care.

Second, you should make a document setting out the types of medical treatment you would or would not like to receive in certain situations. This document is often known as a living will. In the District of Columbia, this form is called a declaration.

Who makes health care decisions for me in the District of Columbia?

In the District of Columbia, the person you name to make decisions for you is called your attorney-in-fact. Most people name a spouse, partner, relative, or close friend as their attorney-in-fact. Under D.C. law, your attorney-in-fact may not be your health care provider.

What else do I need to know about choosing an attorney-in-fact in D.C.?

When choosing your attorney-in-fact, the most crucial criteria are trustworthiness and dependability. You might also want to choose someone you think will be good at asserting your health care wishes if others argue against them -- that is, someone who is persistent or calm under pressure.

While you need not name someone who lives in D.C., the person you name should at least be willing and able to travel to your bedside if necessary.

Your attorney-in-fact will begin to make health care decisions for you when you lack the capacity to do so. For more information, see Nolo's article The Living Will and Power of Attorney for Health Care: An Overview.

Do I need a lawyer to make health care documents in the District of Columbia?

You usually don't need a lawyer to prepare documents directing your health care. In fact, state governments have designed these forms for people to complete on their own by filling in the blanks. You can find the health care forms you need for D.C. in Nolo's Quicken WillMaker Plus software. The software includes detailed instructions for completing your documents and meets all the District of Columbia legal requirements.

Talk to an Attorney

Need a lawyer? Start here.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you

Legal Information & Books from Nolo