Dealing With Abandoned Vehicles in Your Neighborhood

Here’s how to get rid of an abandoned vehicle on your street.

Wondering what to do about that old car, RV, or truck that's been parked on your street for over a week now? Abandoned vehicles can not only be an eyesore, but take up valuable parking spaces in crowded residential areas. It can be a particular nuisance if an abandoned vehicle has been left in front of your house or apartment, so that you have difficulty parking anywhere nearby.

An abandoned car or truck (even worse, an RV) is not only an unwelcome sight to neighbors, it is usually a violation of local law.

Looking Into Local Laws on Abandoned Vehicles

Your first task is to check local rules regarding vehicle parking on city streets (or county roads, depending on where you live). Almost all cities prohibit leaving any vehicle parked on a city street too long—often defined as more than 72 hours.

Also check ordinances regarding disabled vehicles (those that are immobilized because they lack an engine, tires, doors, or any other necessary driving equipment). Typical ordinances require disabled cars to be either put into an enclosed structure, such as a garage, or placed behind a fence. Some ordinances limit the parking of RVs and disabled cars to 72 hours, unless they are enclosed or out of sight.

To find your local ordinance on abandoned or disabled vehicles, check your city or county website or start at State & Local. You can also call your mayor's or city manager's office for advice on the issue.

Once you have the local ordinances in hand or on screen, search for "abandoned vehicles" or "disabled vehicles" or check for these topics in the index or table of contents. Read the law carefully, so you're clear as to the rules regarding abandoned or disabled vehicles.

If you live in a condo or planned unit development, check out your homeowner association (HOA)'s Covenants, Conditions, and Restrictions (CC&Rs) or similar rules on the subject.

See If the Vehicle Belongs to Someone in the Neighborhood

Once you know the law, see if you can find out who owns the vehicle. Perhaps it belongs to a neighbor, or a neighbor's friend or relative, or a local business owner.

If you can't figure this out, skip to the next section of this article.

If you're able to find this who owns the vehicle, and it's causing a problem—for example, by taking up a valuable parking spot in front of your home—ask the owner to move it (assuming it runs).

Give the owner a copy of local rules on the topic and hope that's the end of the matter. It's entirely possible that the owner is not aware of local rules or the problems caused by leaving a vehicle on the street for a long period of time.

Keep in mind, however, that anyone can park their car on a public street as long they comply with state and local vehicle codes (for example, observing street sweeping restrictions). In particular, you have no more right than anyone else to the space immediately in front of your home.

See the book Neighbor Law, by Attorneys Emily Doskow and Lina Guillen, for advice on talking with neighbors about problems involving their cars or other issues.

If the vehicle is disabled and the neighbor refuses to deal with it, you might have to get the police or sheriff involved.

Determine Whether the Vehicle Is Abandoned

If none of your neighbors or nearby business owners know who owns a car that has been on your street for days now, you can probably assume it's abandoned. That's especially true if the vehicle is in bad shape, with major parts (such as an engine or doors) missing, flat tires, or expired license plates.

In such a case, contact local law enforcement via their non-emergency number, or check whether your city has an online reporting system for such issues.

What Your Local Police or Sheriff's Office Can Do

When someone in the neighborhood brings the matter to its attention, some law enforcement offices will tow away a vehicle that has been parked for too long, particularly if it appears to have been abandoned. (In some cases, such as a completely stripped or burned vehicle, there will be no doubt of this.)

When reporting an abandoned vehicle, be prepared to describe its make and model, give its license plate number (if available), and state the exact location.

After checking to see whether the vehicle has been reported stolen, some police departments will place a warning tag on the vehicle, giving the owner a short amount of time, such as 24 hours, to move it. If the vehicle has not been moved within the time limit, the city may impound and/or dispose of it.

In some localities, such as Santa Cruz, California, moving the vehicle simply means driving it for 1,000 feet; after which the driver can go back and park in the exact same spot for another 72 hours.

If You're a Landlord Whose Tenant Has Abandoned a Vehicle

Occasionally, a departing tenant will leave an inoperable car in the parking lot or garage. While states' landlord-tenant laws often require landlords to provide tenants written notice that they are dealing with abandoned property, these rules don't typically apply to motor vehicles.

If a tenant has left a car or other vehicle behind, contact the local police and give the same information you would provide if reporting another abandoned vehicle. The police will probably arrange to have it towed after tagging it and ultimately determining that it is abandoning.

Talk to a Lawyer

Need a lawyer? Start here.

How it Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you
Get Professional Help

Talk to a Real Estate attorney.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you