Arkansas State Veterans Benefits

Arkansas offers state benefits to its veterans over and above VA benefits.

A veteran who lives in Arkansas can collect benefits offered by the State of Arkansas in addition to benefits available to veterans through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).

Arkansas Education Benefits

Arkansas has a Military Dependents Scholarship that is available to children of service members 100% disabled due to service-connected medical conditions, killed in action, missing in action, or prisoners of war. Surviving spouses are also eligible for this scholarship.

The scholarship provides tuition and fees for undergraduate education at a Arkansas state college or university or technical institution for up to eight semesters or until an undergraduate degree is earned.

Scholarship Eligibility

Students must be:

  • a resident of Arkansas
  • a U.S. citizen or permanent resident alien
  • the biological or adopted child of a veteran or the spouse of a service member or veteran who meets the criteria described above, and
  • attending or accepted at a public educational institution.

What the Scholarship Covers

The scholarship will cover any remaining unpaid tuition, fees, room and meals (on-campus only) after three months of federal veterans educational benefits have been subtracted from the total cost. If this results in a negative balance, then no scholarship benefits will be paid.

What the Scholarship Doesn't Cover

Scholarship funds cannot be used for:

  • books
  • parking permits
  • utility bills for dorm rooms, or
  • dorm room furnishings or accessories.

Requirements of Continuing Eligibility

To maintain eligibility for the scholarship, the student must meet the following requirements:

  • maintain a GPA of at least 2.0
  • complete at least 24 credit hours per academic year, and
  • if the student is a surviving spouse, remain unmarried.

Application Deadline Dates

Apply by June 1 and submit all required documents by June 15. For more information about the program and how to apply, call the Arkansas Department of Education at 501-54 STUDY or 501-371-2050.

High School Diplomas for Veterans

Veterans of World War II, Korea, or Vietnam who were unable to finish high school due to being called to military service are eligible to receive a high school diploma. To obtain the diploma, veterans should reach out to the superintendent of the school district they were attending, or call the Arkansas Department of Education at 501-682-4475.

Employment Assistance in Arkansas

Veterans' Employment Representative

The Arkansas Department of Workforce Services provides local veterans employment representatives who help veterans to find and keep jobs. If you need assistance, find a Local Veterans' Employment Representative near you or call the Veterans Program Manager at 501-682-1544 for information about local services. These representatives offer workshops and ensure that veterans receive priority for employments services they may need.

Additional services, such as case management, are available for homeless veterans, disabled veterans, and veterans with limited work skills or education.

Arkansas Veterans Education & Training Partnership (AVETP)

The Arkansas Veterans Education and Training Partnership (AVETP) project helps veterans who are going into training programs for high-demand jobs in the state such as healthcare and the energy efficiency industries.

Eligibility requires active military service during a time of war or a time when a campaign badge was issued, and a discharge under conditions other than dishonorable. Veterans who are within two years of their discharge from the military are also eligible.

The AVETP provides:

  • up to $1,000 to help cover training costs, and
  • up to $500 for supportive services to help veterans successfully complete the training.

For information about applying to AVETP, contact Teiraney Ousley at (501) 246-5341
or [email protected].

Arkansas Tax Exemptions

Homestead and Personal Property Tax Exemption

Veterans rated as 100% disabled by the VA or who have been awarded special monthly compensation for loss of limb, loss of use of a limb, or blindness in at least one eye are eligible for exemption from taxes on their primary residence ("homestead") and on their personal property.

Surviving spouses who have not remarried and surviving dependent children are also eligible for these exemptions if the deceased veteran met the above disability requirements, or:

  • was killed in action or died while in service
  • is missing in action, or
  • died due to service-connected conditions.

Vehicle Tax Exemption

Disabled veterans who buy vehicles or special vehicle equipment through a grant from the VA are exempt from taxes on the purchase. This tax exemption is also available to veterans who are blind as the result of a service-connected condition.

A letter from the VA must be presented at the time of vehicle registration showing entitlement to a VA vehicle or special equipment grant. This exemption cannot be claimed from than once every two years, and applies to a car or pickup truck only.

Recreational Benefits

Half-price camping in Arkansas state parks is available to 100% disabled veterans. Eligibility requires residency in Arkansas and a letter from the VA within the last two years awarding 100% disability benefits or a disabled veterans' license plate. This applies to regular camping rates only, and does not apply to special winter rates or Rent-A-Camp. Visit the Arkansas Department of Parks and Tourism website for more information.

Hunting and fishing license discounts are available from Arkansas Game and Fish Commission to military retirees who are over age 60 and to 100% service-connected disabled veterans who have lived in the state for at least two months. Call (800) 364-4263 for more information.

Additional Benefits

For further information about other benefits available to Arkansas veterans, visit the Arkansas Department of Veterans Affairs.

Talk to a Lawyer

Need a lawyer? Start here.

How it Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you
Get Professional Help

Talk to an attorney.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you