U Visas for Crime Victims Assisting Law Enforcement

An undocumented immigrant's bad luck at being the victim of a crime in the United States can turn into good luck if he or she is seeking a visa to remain longer. The U visa offers victims of certain crimes a path to temporary, and in some cases permanent U.S. residence. The person must be currently assisting or have previously assisted U.S. law enforcement authorities in the investigation or prosecution of a crime, or be likely to help in the investigation or prosecution of criminal activity.