Q&A: This Social Security card says "Valid only with DHS authorization."

Related Ads

Need Professional Help? Talk to a Lawyer

Enter Your Zip Code to Connect with a Lawyer Serving Your Area

searchbox small


I run a small landscaping company that sometimes hires workers from other countries, but I’ve come across a situation that I’ve never seen before. A recently hired worker showed me a card that says, “Valid only with DHS authorization.” What is this? Is it okay to accept it for purposes of Form I-9?


While this is likely a genuine Social Security card (it is unclear why someone would want a fake card that does not allow him or her to work), you cannot accept it for I-9 purposes, as it does not serve as evidence of a person’s work authorization. A card bearing this notation is known as a “restricted” Social Security card; the Social Security Administration typically issues such cards to foreign nationals who possess time-limited work authorization (such as H-1B visa holders, students working under Optional Practical Training, and those who have been granted deferred action under DACA).

If an employee presents a restricted Social Security card to you during the I-9 process, you should tell him that the card is not acceptable as a List C document and should give him an opportunity to present alternative documentation. He may be able to present a foreign passport and I-94 card (an document issued to a foreign national when he enters the U.S. indicating his visa status and the expiration date of his authorized stay in the U.S.), an Employment Authorization Document (also known as an I-766, Employment Authorization Card, or EAD), or another document proving work authorization.


Talk to a Lawyer

Need a lawyer? Start here.

how it works 1
Briefly tell us about your case
how it works 2
Provide your contact information
how it works 1
Connect with local attorneys
Related Ads