Getting Hired FAQ

Why do I need to bring a passport or birth certificate to my first day of work?

Employers are legally obligated to make sure that you are authorized to work in the United States. To do this, both you and the employer must complete USCIS Form I-9: Employment Eligibility Verification Form, and you must provide proof of your identity and work authorization. Your employer cannot specify which documents you must present; you can choose any available documents from the lists provided on the form. List A documents (such as a U.S. passport) provide evidence of both identity and authorization to work. List B documents (such as a driver’s license) prove identity, and List C documents (such as a U.S. birth certificate) prove work authorization. For information on the I-9 form -- and the variety of other documents you may be asked to sign as a new employee -- see Nolo's article First-Day Paperwork for New Employees: Understand What You're Signing.

Talk to a Lawyer

Need a lawyer? Start here.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you

Legal Information & Books from Nolo