Trademark Class 16: Paper Goods
Choose Class 16 if you are registering a trademark for paper, cardboard, books, and similar products
Class 16 includes paper, cardboard and goods made from these materials. Class 16 is one of 45 classes used by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) when grouping products or services.
Examples of trademarks in Class 16 include:
TEACHING TREE (bookmarks and computer paper), THE WASHINGTON TIMES (newspapers), LOYALTYONE (marketing newsletter), GRUNGEPAPER (Synthetic paper).
You would choose Class 16 if you were registering any of these types of goods:
- Paper, cardboard and goods made from these materials, not included in other classes;
- printed matter; bookbinding material; photographs; stationery;
- adhesives for stationery or household purposes;
- artists' materials; paint brushes;
- typewriters and office requisites (except furniture);
- instructional and teaching material (except apparatus);
- plastic materials for packaging (not included in other classes); printers' type; printing blocks.
For a complete listing of all goods in Class 16, see below.
You would NOT use Class 16 if you were registering:
- colors (Class 2 - Paints);
- hand tools for artists (for example, spatulas, sculptors' chisels) (Class 8 - Hand Tools).
Related (Coordinated) Classes
If you are not sure whether you should register in Class 16, you might also consider the following “coordinated” classes: Class 9 - Computers and Scientific Devices, Class 35 - Advertising and Business Services, Class 41 - Education and Entertainment Services, Class 42 - Science and Technology Services. A coordinated class is one that is related to another class, usually because the USPTO has determined that applicants filing within Class 16 often file in the coordinated classes, too.
Why use the class system? Trademark registration is based on a class system. For each class of goods or services that you register, you must pay a separate registration fee. So if you apply for a trademark for posters (Class 16) and shirts (Class 25), you must pay two fees. You must indicate the correct class at the time you are registering a trademark. If you list the incorrect class, you must start the application process over. Your registrations are restricted to those classes that encompass the goods or services you are already offering (as shown by the specimens you submit) or that you plan to offer (if you are registering on an intent-to-use basis). You may also need information about the class number in order to narrow a search of the USPTO’s trademark database.
Specimens for Class 16
If the mark is used in commerce, you must furnish a specimen of the mark as consumers see it. The specimen must show the mark as used on or in connection with the goods in commerce. A trademark specimen should be a label, tag, or container for the goods, or a display associated with the goods. A photocopy or other reproduction of a specimen of the mark as actually used on or in connection with the goods is acceptable.
In most cases, where the trademark is applied to the goods or the containers for the goods in Class 16 by means of labels, a label is an acceptable specimen. Shipping or mailing labels may be accepted if they are affixed to the goods or to the containers for the goods and if proper trademark usage is shown. They are not acceptable if the mark as shown is merely used as a trade name and not as a trademark. An example of this is the use of the term solely as a return address.
Stamping a trademark on the goods, on the container, or on tags or labels attached to the goods or containers, is a proper method of trademark affixation. The trademark may be imprinted in the body of the goods, as with metal stamping; it may be applied by a rubber stamp; or it may be inked on by using a stencil or template. When a trademark is used in this manner, photographs or facsimiles showing the actual stamping or stenciling are acceptable as specimens.
The terminology “applied to the containers for the goods” means applied to any type of commercial packaging that is normal for the particular goods as they move in trade. Thus, a showing of the trademark on the normal commercial package for the particular Class 16 goods is an acceptable specimen. For example, gasoline pumps are normal containers or “packaging” for gasoline.
A specimen showing use of the trademark on a vehicle in which the goods are marketed to the relevant purchasers may constitute use of the mark on a container for the goods, if this is the normal mode of use of a mark for the particular goods
For More Information on Trademarks and Federal Registration
Complete Listing of All Goods in Class 16 Based on Taxonomy
- Works of art and figurines of paper and cardboard, and architects' models, aquarelles/watercolors [paintings]/watercolors [paintings], architects' models, chromolithographs [chromos]/chromos, engravings, etchings, figurines [statuettes] of papier mâché, lithographic works of art, lithographs, oleographs, paintings [pictures], framed or unframed, photo-engravings, pictures, portraits.
- Decoration and art materials and media, canvas for painting, chalk for lithography, charcoal pencils, compasses for drawing, drawing materials, drawing instruments, drawing pads, drawing boards, drawing T-squares, drawing squares, drawing pens, drawing sets, engraving plates, etching needles.
- French curves, graining combs, hand-rests for painters, house painters' rollers, lithographic stones, marking pens [stationery], modelling clay, modelling wax, not for dental purposes, modelling materials, modelling paste, apparatus for mounting photographs, paint trays, paintbrushes, painters' brushes, pantographs [drawing instruments], papier mâché, pastels [crayons], photograph stands, plastics for modelling, drawing rulers, square rulers, stencil plates, stencils, tracing paper, tracing cloth, vignetting apparatus, waxed paper, xuan paper for Chinese painting and calligraphy.
- Arts, crafts and modelling equipment, artists' watercolor [watercolor] saucers/watercolor [watercolor] saucers for artists/artists' watercolor saucers/artists' watercolor saucers, erasing shields, moulds for modelling clays [artists' materials]/molds for modelling clays [artists' materials], painters' easels, palettes for painters, tracing needles for drawing purposes.
- Filtering materials of paper, filter paper, filtering materials [paper].
- Bags and articles for packaging, wrapping and storage of paper, cardboard or plastics, absorbent sheets of paper or plastic for foodstuff packaging, conical paper bags, bags [envelopes, pouches] of paper or plastics, for packaging, bags for microwave cooking, bottle wrappers of cardboard or paper, bottle envelopes of cardboard or paper, boxes of cardboard or paper, plastic bubble packs for wrapping or packaging, cardboard tubes, covers [stationery]/wrappers [stationery], cream containers of paper, garbage bags of paper or of plastics, hat boxes of cardboard, humidity control sheets of paper or plastic for foodstuff packaging, packaging material made of starches, paper ribbons, paper bows, plastic film for wrapping, plastic cling film, extensible, for palletization, sheets of reclaimed cellulose for wrapping, viscose sheets for wrapping, wrapping paper/packing paper.
- Stationery and educational supplies, adhesive tape dispensers [office requisites], blotters, bookends, bookmarkers, cabinets for stationery [office requisites], cases for stamps [seals], chalk holders, chart pointers, non-electronic, clipboards, clips for offices/staples for offices, copying paper [stationery], correcting tapes [office requisites], document files [stationery], document holders [stationery], drawing pins/thumbtacks, elastic bands for offices, envelopes [stationery], files [office requisites], finger-stalls [office requisites], folders for papers/jackets for papers, folders [stationery], holders for stamps [seals], index cards [stationery], indexes, inking sheets for duplicators, inking sheets for document reproducing machines, inking ribbons for computer printers, labels, not of textile, ledgers [books], letter trays, loose-leaf binders, manifolds [stationery], marking chalk, moisteners [office requisites], moisteners for gummed surfaces [office requisites], note books, obliterating stamps/composing sticks, office requisites, except furniture, pads [stationery], paper clasps, paper knives [cutters] [office requisites]/paper cutters [office requisites]/paper knives [office requisites], paper-clips, paperweights, pen clips, pen wipers, postcards, school supplies [stationery], sealing wax, sealing stamps, sealing wafers, sealing compounds for stationery purposes, seals [stamps], shields [paper seals], stamp stands, stamps [seals], stands for pens and pencils, stationery, steatite [tailor's chalk], stencil cases, stencils [stationery], tags for index cards, tailors' chalk, transparencies [stationery], trays for sorting and counting money, wood pulp board [stationery], wristbands for the retention of writing instruments, writing pads/writing tablets, writing cases [sets], writing materials, writing cases [stationery], writing or drawing books.
- Writing and stamping implements, balls for ball-point pens, fountain pens, ink sticks, ink, ink stones [ink reservoirs], inking pads, inkstands, inkwells, nibs, nibs of gold, pen cases/boxes for pens, pencil leads, pencil holders, pencil lead holders, pencils, penholders, pens [office requisites], slate pencils, stamp pads, steel pens, writing instruments, writing chalk, writing brushes.
- Correcting and erasing implements, correcting fluids [office requisites], correcting ink [heliography], erasing products, rubber erasers, scrapers [erasers] for offices, writing board erasers.
- Office machines, address plates for addressing machines, addressing machines, credit card imprinters, non-electric, document laminators for office use, duplicators, envelope sealing machines, for offices, franking machines for office use/postage meters for office use, hand labelling appliances, mimeograph apparatus and machines, numbering apparatus, office perforators, paper shredders for office use, pencil sharpening machines, electric or non-electric, pencil sharpeners, electric or non-electric, punches [office requisites], rollers for typewriters, sealing machines for offices, spools for inking ribbons, stapling presses [office requisites], typewriter ribbons, typewriter keys, typewriters, electric or non-electric.
- Printing and bookbinding equipment, binding strips [bookbinding], bookbinding material, bookbinding apparatus and machines [office equipment], bookbindings, cloth for bookbinding/bookbinding cloth, composing frames [printing], cords for bookbinding/bookbinding cords, electrotypes, fabrics for bookbinding, galley racks [printing], hectographs, Indian inks, inking ribbons, numbers [type], printers' blankets, not of textile, printers' reglets, printing type, printing blocks, printing sets, portable [office requisites], steel letters, type [numerals and letters]/letters [type].
- Educational equipment, arithmetical tables/calculating tables, biological samples for use in microscopy [teaching materials], blackboards, histological sections for teaching purposes, paint boxes [articles for use in school], rosaries/chaplets, teaching materials [except apparatus], terrestrial globes, writing slates.
- Photo albums and collectors' albums, albums/scrapbooks.
- Adhesives for stationary or household purposes, adhesive bands for stationery or household purposes, adhesive tapes for stationery or household purposes, adhesives [glues] for stationery or household purposes, glue for stationery or household purposes/pastes for stationery or household purposes, gluten [glue] for stationery or household purposes, gummed tape [stationery], gummed cloth for stationery purposes, gums [adhesives] for stationery or household purposes, isinglass for stationery or household purposes, self-adhesive tapes for stationery or household purposes, starch paste [adhesive] for stationery or household purposes.
- Printed matter, address stamps, almanacs, announcement cards [stationery], atlases, blueprints/plans, calendars, cards/charts, catalogues, cigar bands, comic books, diagrams, embroidery designs [patterns], flyers, forms, printed, geographical maps, graphic prints, graphic reproductions, graphic representations, greeting cards, handwriting specimens for copying, holders for checkbooks [cheque books], magazines [periodicals], musical greeting cards, newsletters, newspapers, pamphlets, passport holders, patterns for dressmaking, patterns for making clothes, periodicals, photographs [printed], postage stamps, posters, printed matter, printed timetables, printed publications, prints [engravings], prospectuses, stickers [stationery], tickets, tracing patterns, trading cards other than for games, transfers [decalcomanias]/decalcomanias, Books, booklets, books, manuals [handbooks]/handbooks [manuals], song books.
- Paper and cardboard, advertisement boards of paper or cardboard, carbon paper, cardboard, cardboard articles, electrocardiograph paper, luminous paper, paper, paper sheets [stationery], paper for recording machines, paper tapes and cards for the recordal of computer programmes, parchment paper, perforated cards for Jacquard looms, paper for radiograms, signboards of paper or cardboard, silver paper, wood pulp paper, writing paper.
- Industrial paper and cardboard, Money holders, money clips.
- Disposable paper products. , bibs of paper, coasters of paper, drawer liners of paper, perfumed or not, face towels of paper, paper coffee filters, flags of paper, flower-pot covers of paper/covers of paper for flower pots, handkerchiefs of paper, mats for beer glasses, napkins of paper for removing make-up/tissues of paper for removing make-up, placards of paper or cardboard, place mats of paper, table linen of paper, table napkins of paper, tablecloths of paper, tablemats of paper, toilet paper/hygienic paper, towels of paper.