I just got asylum, but don't have a passport -- how do I travel?


A judge granted me asylum because I received death threats while working as a journalist in my country. Now I want to continue work as a journalist internationally, but my country's embassy refuses to renew my passport. Is there still a way I can travel outside the United States?


Yes, you can apply for what's called a "refugee travel document," allowing you to return to the United States after temporary travel abroad. Instructions for submitting the application can be found in Nolo's article, "Applying for a Refugee Travel Document."

You did not mention what country you are from, but that's the one country to which you should not travel. If you do, the U. S. government may decide that you no longer fear persecution there after all. If that happens, it may take away your asylum status.

Swipe to view more

Talk to an Asylum attorney.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you