Texas extends special protections to tenants who are victims of domestic violence. Here are some of the domestic violence (DV) laws that apply to tenants:
- Lease cannot include a waiver of some or all DV rights
- Landlord entitled to proof of DV status
- Early termination right for DV victim
- Lease cannot prohibit calling the police in a DV situation or otherwise penalize DV victim
- Tenant who exercises termination rights will be released from any delinquent rent unless the lease includes a clause that specifically describes tenants’ rights in a domestic violence situation.
Check the Texas statute (Tex. Prop. Code Ann. § §â