How do we deal with grandparents who limit visitation by lesbian mom?


I am a lesbian, and my partner's father and stepmother have custody of her daughter. They do not let her see her daughter unless she goes and stays at their house. She was only 18 when she signed the custody papers. She thought she had no choice. How does she get them to let her see her daughter when she wants to?


Your partner needs to get a local attorney. Not just a garden variety attorney, but one who is familiar with family law, custody issues, and the rights of lesbian mothers. For a referral, contact the National Center for Lesbian Rights at 415-392-6257 or

Talk to a Divorce Lawyer

Need professional help? Start here.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you

Legal Information & Books from Nolo