How do we get our former treasurer to return our corporation's tax records?


I'm a director of a small, 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation. Recently, our treasurer was voted out of office and he now refuses to hand over the financial and tax records of our corporation. I am at my wits' end trying to figure out how to get our records back. Do you have any suggestions?


Your best bet at this point is to contact the charitable trusts section of the state attorney general's office. The situation you describe is right up their alley. A nonprofit holds its assets in trust for the public and your former treasurer is interfering with that trust. A letter or phone call from someone at the attorney general's enforcement division may bring about the desired results quickly.

You could also call a lawyer -- there are any number of legal theories a clever litigation attorney could come up with to sue your former treasurer. But this approach will cost money and could involve more time and headaches than you want.

Talk to a Lawyer

Need a lawyer? Start here.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you

Legal Information & Books from Nolo

Swipe to view more