How to Form a Corporation in Utah

To establish a corporation in Utah, here's everything you need to know.

Need Professional Help? Talk to a Lawyer.


To form a corporation in Utah, you need to take the steps set forth below. To find out what’s required to form a corporation in any other state, see Nolo’s 50-State Guide to Forming a Corporation.

1. Choose a Corporate Name

Your corporation's name must include one of the following words, an abbreviation, or words of similar meaning in another language: “Incorporated,” “Corporation,” or “Company.”

Your corporation's name must distinguishable from the names of other business entities already on file with the Utah Division of Corporations. Names may be checked for availability at the Utah business name database.

You may reserve a name for 120 days by filing an Application for Reservation of Business Name with the Utah Division of Corporations. The reservation may be filed online at the Utah Online Business Registration website or by mail. The filing fee is $22.

2. Prepare and File Articles of Incorporation

Your corporation is legally created by filing Articles of Incorporation with the Utah Division of Corporations. The articles must include the: corporate name and address; name and address of agent for service of process; purpose; number of shares the corporation is authorized to issue; name and address of incorporator; name and address of board of directors.

The articles may be filed online or by mail. The filing fee is $70.

3. Appoint a Registered Agent

Every Utah corporation must have an agent for service of process in the state. This is an individual or corporation that agrees to accept legal papers on the corporation's behalf if it is sued. A registered agent may be an individual who resides in Utah, or a domestic  or foreign business entity authorized to do business in Utah. The registered agent must have a physical street address in Utah. The agent should agree to accept service of process on your corporation's behalf prior to designation.

4. Set Up a Corporate Records Book

Set up a corporate records book in which you keep all of your corporation's important papers, including minutes of director and shareholder meetings, stock certificates, and stock certificate stubs. Keep your corporate records book at the principal office of your corporation. You can use a three-ring binder as the corporate records book or you can order a special corporate records kit through a corporate kit supplier.

5. Prepare Corporate Bylaws

Bylaws are an internal corporate document that set out the basic ground rules for operating your corporation. They are not filed with the state. Your corporation is not legally required to have corporate bylaws, but you should adopt them because they (1) establish your corporation's operating rules, and (2) help show banks, creditors, the IRS, and others that your corporation is legitimate. For corporate bylaw forms, see Nolo’s website or Incorporate Your Business, by Anthony Mancuso (Nolo). Corporate kits also typically contain sample bylaws.

6. Appoint Initial Corporate Directors

The incorporator—the person who signed the articles—must appoint the initial corporate directors who will serve on the board until the first annual meeting of shareholders (when the board members who will serve for the next term are elected by the shareholders).  The incorporator must fill in an “Incorporator’s Statement” showing the names and addresses of the initial directors. The incorporator must sign the statement and place a copy in the corporate records book.  The statement need not be filed with the state. For a sample Incorporators Statement, see Incorporate Your Business, by Anthony Mancuso (Nolo).

7. Hold Your First Board of Directors Meeting

The first meeting of the  corporation's board of directors should be held at which the directors can appoint corporate officers, adopt bylaws, select a corporate bank, authorize issuance of shares of stock, set the corporation's fiscal year, and adopt an official stock certificate form and corporate seal. The directors' actions must be recorded in corporate minutes prepared by the incorporator or any of the directors. Additionally, if the corporation will be an S corporation, the directors should approve the election of S corporation status. It is usually necessary to prepare the minutes over one or two weeks, and then send them to all the directors for their signature. For corporate meeting minute forms, see Nolo’s website or refer to Incorporate Your Business, by Anthony Mancuso (Nolo).

8. Issue Stock

Issue stock to each shareholder. Although not legally required in most states, small corporations usually issue paper stock certificates. Enter each shareholder's name and contact information in the corporation’s stock transfer ledger. A share of stock in your corporation is classified as a security under state and federal securities laws that regulate the offer and sale of corporate stock.

However, the federal government and all states exempt most small corporations from these laws. For example, federal law exempts "private offerings": a non-advertised sale to a limited number of people (generally 35 or fewer); most states have enacted their own versions of this SEC exemption. Visit your state securities office website for information about your state's securities laws. Links to all such offices can be found at the Contact Your Regulator web page of the North American Securities Administrators Association.

9. Comply with Utah Annual Report Requirements

All Utah corporations and foreign corporations authorized to do business in the state must file an Annual Renewal with the Utah Division of Corporations and pay a $15 fee. The renewal is due one year from the date of your corporation's creation and due annually thereafter.  A renewal notice is sent by the Division of Corporations to your corporation's registered agent 60 days before the anniversary date. The renewal notice has information printed on a postcard which will allow you to renew online.  Alternatively, you may file an Annual Report/Renewal Form by mail.

10. Comply With Other Tax and Regulatory Requirements

Additional tax and regulatory requirements apply to your corporation. These include:

EIN: Your corporation must obtain a federal employer identification number (EIN). You may obtain an EIN by completing an online application on the IRS website. There is no filing fee.

S Corporation Filing: If the corporation wants to elect S corporation status for tax purposes, it must submit Form 2553 Election by a Small Business Corporation (signed by all the shareholders). The election should be filed within two months and 15 days after the beginning of the corporation's first tax year. See the IRS S Corporation Fact Sheet for details.

Business Licenses: Depending on its type of business and where it is located, your corporation may need to obtain other local and state business licenses.

11. Foreign Corporations Doing Business in Utah

All corporations organized outside of Utah must register with the Utah Division of Corporations to do business in Utah. Foreign corporations must appoint a registered agent for service of process physically located in Utah. 

To register, file an Application for Authority to Conduct Affair for a Foreign Profit & Nonprofit Corporation. The application may be filed online at the Utah Online Business Registration website, or by mail. The filing fee is $70.

The completed application must be accompanied by a certificate of legal existence or good standing from the foreign corporation's home state issued not more than 90 days before the application is filed.

Find a Lawyer

Need a lawyer? Start here.

how it works 1
Briefly tell us about your case
how it works 2
Provide your contact information
how it works 1
Connect with local attorneys