If You, Not the Plaintiff, Were WrongedFile a Defendant's Claim

Related Ads

Need Professional Help? Talk to a Lawyer

Enter Your Zip Code to Connect with a Lawyer Serving Your Area

searchbox small

Finally, some defendants will not only want to dispute the plaintiff's claim but will also want to sue the plaintiff back. Perhaps you are outraged that the plaintiff sued first, because you are the person who was wronged. To assert your own claim against the plaintiff, promptly file a defendant's claim (sometimes called a counterclaim) for up to the dollar limit for your state's small claims court. (See the Appendix.) If you want to sue for a greater amount, ask the small claims clerk how to transfer the case to formal court.

Get Informed

Empower yourself with our plain-English information

Do It Yourself

Handle routine tasks with our products

Find a Lawyer

Connect with a local lawyer who meets your needs

The fastest, easiest way to find, choose, and connect to small claims court lawyers

Related Ads