Can I sue the prosecution for filing charges against me?

Most people who believe they’ve been wrongly accused of a crime want to know what recourses are available. Many aren’t satisfied by purging records related to arrest and prosecution—they want to know whom they can sue. (For information on handling the aftermath of arrest, prosecution, and conviction, see Consequences of ConvictionFactual Innocence, and Expungement or Sealing of Adult Criminal Records.)

Although it’s possible, prevailing in a “malicious prosecution” or similar lawsuit against a district attorney or equivalent government lawyer for the act of filing charges is usually a tall task. A criminal defendant turned civil plaintiff must typically prove outrageous conduct by the lawyer(s) in question. For what’s needed to win a malicious prosecution suit, see Suing For Damages: Malicious Prosecution.

Talk to a Lawyer

Start here to find criminal defense lawyers near you.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you