Are juvenile court records automatically sealed when a minor becomes an adult?

Related Ads

Need Professional Help? Talk to a Lawyer

Enter Your Zip Code to Connect with a Lawyer Serving Your Area

searchbox small

Normally, a person who meets a state’s eligibility requirements for the sealing of juvenile court records has to file a petition with the court to actually get them sealed. The person with the record often has to file such a petition (accompanied by payment of a fee) with the juvenile court clerk in the county where the case took place.

Typically, the petition formally asks the court to issue a written order sealing the record. However, some states do have limited automatic sealing provisions. (See, for example, Cal. Welf. & Inst. Code § 826(a), discussing in part automatic record destruction.)

For more information, see Sealing Juvenile Court Records. To get even more information, including state-specific articles, see Expunging or Sealing a Juvenile Court Record.

Talk to a Defense Lawyer

Charged with a crime? Talk to a lawyer.
how it works 1
Tell us about your case
how it works 2
Get matched with local lawyers
how it works 1
Connect with your lawyers