Can I appeal a judge's refusal to grant diversion?


If the judge denied you diversion, an appeal is a long shot.

The judge turned down my request for diversion. Can I appeal that?


Defendants who are denied diversion and ultimately convicted can appeal a judge’s refusal to admit them to a diversion program. However, these appeals rarely succeed.

To learn more, see Nolo's section on Diversion and First Offender Options for a Criminal Charge.


Talk to a Lawyer

Start here to find criminal defense lawyers near you.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you