Can Recent Work Hurt My Chances for Getting Disability for Anxiety?

It depends whether Social Security sees it as an "unsuccessful work attempt."


I have not worked consistently since October 2006. My anxiety and depression and who knows what else is wrong with me have been the main factors in maintaining or seeking employment. I thought maybe working with people, under structure, and on a schedule might have contributed to a lot of my work apprehension. This summer I decided to do a freelance type project, by launching a crowdfunding project to produce a small video. The project raised about $11,000, and more than half of it went to expenses.

This was a test for my condition that I failed. It was more than I could handle; it was overwhelming to complete the tasks the way I would have liked. I had anxiety so bad I couldn't travel to film the video myself and had to pay someone to do it. I ended up in the ER on September 1 over stressing about it all and I thought I was having a heart attack due to chest pains or brain issues. Doc said anxiety.

That was clear proof for me that even working independently and free of traditional structure would not be good enough for my conditions. What is the date I can tell them I officially became disabled? This past September when I was in the ER is the date I was thinking of putting down.

Also, does my work this past summer make me ineligible, because you can't make more than $1,180 a month? Or would the $11,000 not matter because I'd be listing my official disability date after I earned that money? I didn't make any income in September or October. I'm just wondering how much my "work" this summer will affect their decision.

Having no insurance, I don't have much medical records. Just two records of visits to the ER for anxiety this year. And if I dig hard, could find the doc who said depression and anxiety years ago.


To qualify for Social Security disability, you must have a condition that prevents you from doing a substantial amount of work (generally, making more than $1,180), and you cannot have done a substantial amount of work after the date you became disabled. The date you put down on your application is called your "alleged onset date" of disability. If you put down a date of September 1, the work you did this summer won't cause a technical denial of your disability application, but Social Security will look at your past work when it assesses your ability to do basic work-related tasks.

But you did call your work "a test for your condition that failed." If Social Security treats the work activity as an "unsuccessful work attempt," then you could try for an onset date that's earlier than September 1. If you worked for under six months, and you quit because your medical condition made it impossible for you to do the work, your activity can qualify as an unsuccessful work attempt. However, if you choose an onset date after the last day you worked, it can be simpler for Social Security to approve your claim.

That said, you will be facing an uphill battle getting disability benefits because it is difficult to get approved for anxiety or depression without any physical impairments. You will need to prove that you have severe anxiety and/or depression, and that there is NO work you can handle, not even the most simple, unskilled low-stress type of job. (Read more about getting disability benefits for anxiety or depression.)

In addition, your lack of medical records does not help your case. You would be in a better position to prove your disability if you start going to a therapist at least once a month. And it would be best if the therapist can eventually fill out a mental residual functional capacity report (MRFC form) about you, listing the activities you can't do (such as interacting with the public, performing activities within a schedule, and responding appropriately to criticism from supervisors). If you can't afford to see a psychologist or psychiatrist, Social Security will send you to a consulting doctor or psychologist for a mental consultative exam, but a single consultative report is not likely to be helpful to your case.

Since you don't have insurance, you should apply for Medicaid, which can pay for office visits but also show that you have tried to get medical treatment for your condition. The same is true for contacting community organizations that may provide free or low-cost services.

It's also important to continue to try to get treatment the entire time your claim is pending to show the seriousness of your disorder. And yes, it could help if you could dig up the records from the doctor who diagnosed you with anxiety and depression years ago. It can help your case for Social Security to know how long your impairments have lasted, and to show why you haven't been able to work much for the past eight years.

Talk to a Disability Lawyer

Need a lawyer? Start here.

How it Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you

Get the compensation you deserve.

We've helped 225 clients find attorneys today.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you