USCIS No Longer Requires Form G-325A With Adjustment of Status Application

USCIS now plans to collect biographical data through Form I-485, not Form G-325A.


To apply for a U.S. green card (lawful permanent residence) in the U.S., would-be immigrants often use a procedure called "adjustment of status." This allows certain people living in the U.S. to submit all their documents to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and to attend an interview at a USCIS office, all without having to leave the United States.

The adjustment of status process requires preparing and submitting a number of forms. Formerly, your checklist of forms would have included a Form G-325A, which collected biographical data about things like the immigrant's (or the petitioning spouse's) parents, past residences, and past employers.

Recently, however, USCIS consolidated the G-325A with the Form I-485 (the Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, which is the main form used to apply for a green card within the United States).

So the good news is that fewer forms are required for a U.S. green card application, and you need not include a Form G-325A with your adjustment of status packet.

The bad news is that just as much, and in some cases more information is required of you in the process of applying for a U.S. green card than ever before.

Learn more about the adjustment of status process.

Effective Date: June 26, 2017