New means test figures are available for cases filed after April 1, 2021.
The Census Bureau data used to determine each state's median family income changed on April 1, 2021. After April 1, 2021, debtors will use the new median family income figures when completing the bankruptcy means test forms used to determine bankruptcy qualification and establish payment plan amounts (official bankruptcy form series 122A and 122C).
Follow these steps to find the figures on the U.S. Trustee's website:
- Select "Means Testing Information" from the navigation bar on the left.
- Scroll down to the box entitled "Data Required for Completing the 122A Forms and the 122C Forms."
- Use the drop-down menu to select "4/1/2021 or After."
You'll find the following categories of information needed for form completion:
- Median Family Income Based on State/Territory and Family Size
- General Information Regarding IRS Collection Financial Standards
- National Standards: Food, Clothing & Other Items
- National Standards: Out-of-Pocket Health Care Expenses
- Local Standards: Housing and Utilities and Transportation
- Schedules of Actual Administrative Expenses of Administering a Chapter 13 Plan
Learn more about comparing your income to the state median income and learning whether you're eligible for bankruptcy.
Effective date: April 1, 2021